Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights not working...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Default Lights not working...

I have a 96 B5 2.8 Quattro, completely bone stock.

Everything on the car was working fine until yesterday, when out of nowhere, I can't get the key in my ignition, and have to wiggle the tip of the key in it before I can actually turn it. Same thing turning the car off, I have to wiggle the ignition all the way down just to pull the key out.

Then, later that evening, my headlights and turn signals stop working. I thought I had the light switch only on the 2nd notch, as my parking lights were on, but it was all the way up, there is no difference between the 2nd and 3rd position on the light switch. Also, when I tried to turn on my high beams by clicking it forward, they didn't work either, nor did my fog lights. The only things that worked were the parking lights, and I could use my high beams by manually holding the light stalk back towards me. (All of the lights inthe rear, however, work).So I test my hazard lights, and as soon as I hit the hazard lights, everything works, all the lights come on, no problem. I thought at first that several fuses burned out, but then why would all the lights work once I turned on my hazard lights? Has anyone else ever has this problem? And I still have no idea what this has to do with my slightly jammed ignition.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Default RE: Lights not working...

spray in the barrelwith some WD40 to loosen up the pins

Old 09-01-2007, 04:51 PM

I'll try that, as of this afternoon too, I wasn't even able to put the key in the ignition, I'll go pick up some WD40 and try that.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Happened to me once - I turned on the headlights and they wouldn't come on - I thought something happened with my HIDs. They looked fine, so I pulled the headlight fuses to verify they weren't blown (they weren't) and when I put them back in, the lights worked again. No idea why this happened, and it never happened again, so I can't tell you what the problem was, but I can tell you you're not the only one to have it happen.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:09 PM

Yeah, so now the lights are working on random and sometimes not working, fuses are fine. I lubed the ignition and was able to get the key in and start / stop the car.... somewhat. Now when I turned the car off, when I pull the key into off position, the ignition still pulls forwards, towards the accessory position, and I can't get it into the off position. So the car, with or without the key in the ignition, is beeping when the door's open, as though the key were still there, and the electronics are functioning w/o a key, which they wouldn't do normally. Besides my having an obvious electric problem, the bit with the sticky ignition is really odd, and I can't figure how or why they might be related. [&:]

Old 09-01-2007, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

does anyone think this has 2 do with the ignition switch with the lights and **** randomly working?

Old 09-01-2007, 09:57 PM
4th Gear

There is a recal on the ignition switch.
It can cause the problems you are having.
Id get it replaced.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:11 PM

I'm gonna go to Audi on Tuesday, so I'll ask them about getting the ignition switch replaced due to the recall. Can you still do that for free even if you're not the original owner?