Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needs a little work.. please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Needs a little work.. please help

A few months ago I got myself a 1996 A4 Quattro with 136,000 miles on it. I've already done 2 things, replace the Left and Right inner and outer tire rod ends since the Power Steering pump was not working. As well as replacing the power steering pump.

I know I've gotta change the Timing Belt, Water Pump, and Spark Plugs. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with which parts I should buy. Or other things I should do to ensure my car doesn't run into problems. Can anyone also tell me which are the best head light bulbs for this car since i would like to replace them. I want them bright with a blue or purple tint with improvement to the road of course. I do not want to upgrade the highlight housing, just the bulbs.

Currently I have 3 problems with the car.
One is that there is a LOUD squeaking nose coming from the left front portion of the car. When I press down on the fender it squeaks so I figured it my be the shock.. but when I turn the car left or right, its even louder. Any one have any clue what it could be I need to spray WD40 on?

Second, my AC does not work so I took it to the Mobil and the guys says there is a leak which he could not find and needs to recharge the freon in order to find the leak.. but he couldn't even do that since the AC display flickers in and out (mostly remains out) so I'm guessing here is a lose wire. Is this a common problem in our car and if so how can I take apart the unit to fix it myself if possibe?

Third, My inspection expired and I can't get it reinspeaked since the Mobil guy told me the cars computer is not ready. When I start the car "In 2" blinks for a bit before it goes away, is that like our check engine sign? What can I do to get the cars computer to be ready for an inspection?

Thanks for your time and any input would be much appriciated.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Default RE: Needs a little work.. please help

Currently I have 3 problems with the car.
One is that there is a LOUD squeaking nose coming from the left front portion of the car. When I press down on the fender it squeaks so I figured it my be the shock.. but when I turn the car left or right, its even louder. Any one have any clue what it could be I need to spray WD40 on?

picture #1.

I know I've gotta change the Timing Belt, Water Pump, and Spark Plugs. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with which parts I should buy. Or other things I should do to ensure my car doesn't run into problems. Can anyone also tell me which are the best head light bulbs for this car since i would like to replace them. I want them bright with a blue or purple tint with improvement to the road of course. I do not want to upgrade the highlight housing, just the bulbs
http://www.eurocarparts.net/

Second, my AC does not work so I took it to the Mobil and the guys says there is a leak which he could not find and needs to recharge the freon in order to find the leak.. but he couldn't even do that since the AC display flickers in and out (mostly remains out) so I'm guessing here is a lose wire. Is this a common problem in our car and if so how can I take apart the unit to fix it myself if possible?
this needs a dye test to find the leak not a DIY unless you know what your doing.

Third, My inspection expired and I can't get it reinspected since the Mobil guy told me the cars computer is not ready. When I start the car "In 2" blinks for a bit before it goes away, is that like our check engine sign? What can I do to get the cars computer to be ready for an inspection? its due a service and needs to be reset not like the check engine /MIL/CEL light just a service reset and covered in the search

Old 08-19-2006, 12:27 PM

#1 spray the part pointed out with WD40

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/60DDD9F3B3234FAABCBEA3EC8ED1BF58.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-19-2006, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

Is it possible for me to open the center and secure the wiring so that the climate control display does not flicker.. once that is done I can have my freeon recharged. Thanks