Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL is OIL

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: OIL is OIL

email

[IMG]local://upfiles/16708/1F9A00140AD646CF9423D2D9005A92CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-31-2006, 12:36 PM
4th Gear

Audi wrote US owners, giving us an 8 year unlimited milage warranty. The August 2004 letter is in the following URL.

http://forums.audiworld.com/other/msgs/2968865.phtml

Old 03-31-2006, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, someday I'll write a post of how my stealership screwed me out of this one and I paid $1200 (in warranty, 47k miles) for a new oil pump!

Old 03-31-2006, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

it seems to me that this is intended to replace everything thats gone before.
At least thats what Audi in germany are telling me and this is the reason its on the document site so you can download it if you're a dealer.
Since is published in the AUDI repair/maint manual surely this replaces everything else?

Old 03-31-2006, 06:42 PM
4th Gear

I don't believe this applies to the 1.8t engine.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear
Default My experience

BEFORE:
The previous owner(~109k mi) did not use synthetic oil. Hell, he put in regular gas. The car ran like a freaken american car when I first got it (pretty cheap cuz of its conditions). It was leaking about a quart of oil between oil changes, you can smell oil burning whenever I pushed it further than 3.5k RPM... got about 19mi/gal... EGR valve was all clogged, it was so sludgy that the vac lines were clogged, hardened, and broken off... car had CEL for EGR insuff. flow and cyl4 misfire.

SO

MAINTENANCE
seafoam treatment (fuel tank, oil, into vac lines)
synthetic oil change
plugs and wires

After the seafoam treatment, my neighbor got irritated cuz she thought all the smoke would hurt her precious flowers... but ANYWAYS, I ran the seafoamed oil(m1 0w40) for about 150miles I think... or was it less... as recommended by genius members... and then did the next 3 oil changes every 2k... the sea foamed oil was DISGUSTING when I drained it... and then the oil got cleaner each oil change, so I did it at 2.5k, 3k, and now around 3.5-4k, depending on oil condition...
Of course, I've been using 91/93 octane fuel as well...

AFTER
As you can see, the maintenance I did was very minimal and cheap. I reset my CEL, and it never came back (cuz of misfire or EGR anyways). The car runs smoother than ever, I also gained at least 10hp throughout the process... or so it feels like it..
I get 21 - 23 mpg, pushing harder than when I first got my car. It doesn't leak a drop of oil nor does it burn any.

SO
if you want to stay with mineral oil, it's up to you. After my experience, I will never put in mineral oil in my audi again.

OH!!! I got a mineral oil change done this one time.. cuz I didn't have time to change it myself and they charge $70 for synth.
I ran the mineral oil for 2.5k miles. The oil was pretty dirty when I drained it. When I drained the synthetic in there the next time, it was more dirty than usual (when I was running synthetic). After 2 oil changes, my oil stays clean once again. This may seem a bit extreme, but to me, that's how much of a difference it makes.