Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Press and Cluster, Input needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Oil Press and Cluster, Input needed.

2000 A4 1.8T

Yes I searched and I am aware of the extended warranty on this model due to the oil sludge

The story:

I owned the car for 7-8 months now, Car is driven by my wife. The oil press. light first came on for a brief moment ( she stopped, turned the engine off waited and started it back light was gone ) month ago, since to oil change was due I thought that that was the reason. After the oil change ( yes for 7 months we used regular 5w30, i think that is 3 maybe 4 oil changes ) now yesterday the light came on again ( same circumstances, stock in heavy traffic for more then an hour ). Same drill pull over wait 10 min start the car and the light is gone. Now we are no where near the oil change date and level, oil level is fine etc. Yesterday I searched the net and the forum and got lot of info. Now I was thinking of doing the following :

Change the oil today for synthetic 5w40 or 0w40, depending on the brand of oil. Drive it for two days and change it again.

Correct me if I am wrong but with no light on I can not prove dealer that something is wrong

Now here is the cluster part, and another question to answer, is the milage stored only in the cluster???
I bought the car of my buddy dealer, with title saying TMU ( milage unknown) but by the state of the car he estimated 60K, Car was bough in December, he got me an S4 cluster with 54K on it ( do they look the same? Cause mine does.. Hmm ) since the old one was not readable. When I bought the car I called the Audi dealer whose card was in the manual. It came out that the car has less the 60K, the dealer had last reading of 38K in June/July, and there was no other owners of this car. Now the odo says 66K. I was thinking to buy the cluster with around 40K and put it in the car and then go to the dealer. Is there another place where they can check the milage on the car, except the cluster? I know some cars have milage memory on ECU and cluster..

Now I am in process of getting the car history from the dealer on paper, there are going to ask me for oil changes etc. I just give them paper work for oil changes that were done outside the dealership?

Appreciate any input!

Old 07-27-2006, 06:37 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Oil Press and Cluster, Input needed.

I dont kbnow for sure, but it may store the mileage in the ecu, readable with vag-com.

Any vag com users out there, can you read mileage with the VAG-com?

Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

Noob question..... VAG is obd or ecu reader?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:07 AM
5th Gear

yes a dealer can tell mieage with the vag com and they can even change it once, the vag is a scan tool for audi's it connects through the obd2 port and does lots of wonderful things

Old 07-28-2006, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

How good are the vags that you can get on ebay for $20???

Old 07-28-2006, 02:34 AM
5th Gear

not as good as the real version and the free software sometimes doesnt work well with the cheap ones, but then again some people love their cheap ones