Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about power outlet/cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:20 PM
1st Gear
Default Question about power outlet/cigarette Lighter

I'm a girl with little knowledge of cars, so bare with me if I'm not using the correct 'car terms' lol

I have an 1998 Audi Quattro A4 and I have a universal phone charger for my car that I can't use because the cigarette lighter / power outlet inside the car seems to be too large to fit it (the 'plug' for the charger sits very loosely inside of it)
I've been using the same cord for a while in different cars and have never had a problem with it fitting into a cars electrical outlet. I also tried looking around for a larger sized charger but all the universal ones seem to be the same size. I tried my sisters car charger as well just to see (also a universal charger, but a different kind) and it also did not fit.
It's not broken as far as I can tell...I have one in the front and one in the back. I've tried both, and both are too large for the adapter.

Does any one have any advice or is there a charger for my phone that is specifically sized for car?

Thanks so much!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 PM
1st Gear

wrap the outside of the charger in foil thick enough to make it a tight fit it will work but make sure none of it is poking out other wise it may shock you while its plugged in, also i wouldnt leave it plugged in while your not in the car. sadly audi was a dick about making thes outlets! you may be able to crimp the input a little bit, but that would require removing the center console. FOIL will work tho!

(i have to do the same thing with my car)