Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio - Safe Mode - Have code - Won't work - Anybody else experience this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Radio - Safe Mode - Have code - Won't work - Anybody else experience this?

Hi all.

Out of the blue the radio (Symphony II - 6 disc in-dash, without steering wheel controls), on my wife's 2002 A4 1.8T stopped responding (to the power button). Press the power button and nothing. So I then did the following in order:

1. Checked the fuse. It was ok.
2. Put fuse back in. Heard the radio shuffle through all the slots.
3. Press the power button. Screen lit up with SAFE MODE.
4. Went through the manual to determine what this is.
5. With the code in hand, I did as the manual stated.
- Pressed RDS+AS at the same time for a few seconds until 1000 lit up on the screen
- Used the first four buttons to change the 1000 to the code in my owner's manual
- Pressed RDS+AS a second time for a few seconds until SAFE MODE appeared again
- According to the manual it was then suppose to start working. Unfortunately it did not
6. I repeated #5 above with the only difference being that preceeding the 1000 display was now the roman numeral II.
- According to the owner's manual you have only 2 attempts at this PER HOUR, hence the II.
- I put the correct code in yet again, but the radio never works, instead only showing SAFE MODE.
7. Waited an hour to try again. Only this time it won't even let me get to the 1000 part to put the code in.
8. Waited all night to try again. Still would not let me put the code in.
9. Searched audiworld.com and audiforums.com for an answer.
- Lots of close matches but nothing quite this. Most searches resulted in lost codes and what to do about it.
- In this case, I have the code but it didn't work and has now locked me out from trying the code again.
10. Looked for TSB's or recalls on this radio but didn't find any (in the audiforum.com tsb section anyway)

Has anyone else had these symptoms? I'm trying not to get worked up yet but I will be pretty upset if I have to take this thing to the dealership. It is an 02' with only 55K miles. The radio should not be going out on a $30K car. I also own a 1988 Nissan 300ZX Turbo with a stock radio that still works. Hate to sound like a luddite but what the <blank> is up with that <blank>?

Thanks for all helpful input.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:10 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Radio - Safe Mode - Have code - Won't work - Anybody else experience this?

sorry answered before I read the post

might be the wrong code (not original manual)

Disconnect the battery and leave it overnight see if that resets the system then try again. Most likely you'll end up at the dealer. if you purchased it from an audi dealer - go back and complain they gave you the wrong # might get it for free.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Radio - Safe Mode - Have code - Won't work - Anybody else experience this?

I have the original owner's manual and the original security code. Thanks though.

I was hoping somebody had a similar experience or knows something about these radios that isn't "go to the dealer to get the code".

Thanks in advance for all helpful input.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

I've got the same problem with the radio in my 97 A4. I even went to a dealership to make sure I had the correct code (I did) but it remains in safe mode no matter howmany times I try it.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:05 AM
1st Gear

well i had the original manual with mine with the code but the radio had been switched out and i wasnt given the radio code when i got it from the dealer. my battery died and went into safe mode and i had to go to the dealer and get the new code. it cost $45 and a pain cuz you gotta leave the radio and key on for an hour to try the new code. could still be under warenty for you

Old 03-22-2007, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Interesting... we did buy the car used in 2003. I'll ask Audi to check the service records to see if the radio had ever been swapped out. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I'll update what I find.