Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so my e brake is stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:50 PM
1st Gear
Default so my e brake is stuck on

i had parked someplace and came out maybe an hour or less, and came out and notice when i got on the gas it felt sluggish, like the brakes were rubbing, so i pulled on the e brake and it went about half way up with no resistance. now, it was about 18 degrees when i parked it, so could it just have frozen? if so is it guna be a continuing problem? as of now I'm just going to leave it in gear and not use the e brake for parking.

any suggestions?

Old 12-01-2007, 11:59 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: so my e brake is stuck on

im having a similar problem except my car is drivable without the sluggish feeling and only the driver's rear is stuck. one of the techs suggested to just take apart off the caliper and lube everything up. it worked for a bit but then it happened to my again tonight. i'm thinking it's probably water in the cable and the sleeve or i got moisture in my lines. i just ordered a set of calipers from some dude and hopefully swapping them out will solve my problem. and my ebrake does nothing for the first inch i pull. i'm also going to change the fluid when i swap calipers. if the problem persists i will probably change the brak cable too.it's a very misterious problem lol.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

yeah its kinda anoying. ill pull the them apart tmrw, it actuaoly starts to go away as i continue to drive though, so i think its due to cold weather.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:05 AM
3rd Gear

If theres slack in the parking brake handle, your most likly gonna need new parking brake cables. For the time being you can use a screwdriver to pry the lever on the caliper to release the cable.

Hiwords, look at your levers on both sides. If they are at greatly different angles one of the cables is probably stuck causing the brakes to stay on. Sometimes you can see what almost looks like a knot in the cable casing where its all broken and bound up.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
3rd Gear

I don't have that problem. My car is in a warm garage tonight, waiting for thedriver side cv boot to be replace tomorrow. 1 down, 1 to go. And yes, after a brief inspection, I will be replacing the control arms some time in December. But why not get coil overs or new shocks while I'm at it...

Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
5th Gear

but it only happens when it's really cold. it was 15°F in binghamton tonight. i will check the levers. i just hope i don't need to change everything lol

Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

well it snowed today here and i don't have a heated garage and don't really feel like messing with it, i might get up some courage later, ha we'll see. and Eric, theres someone in Sikorsky that had been wanting to get rid of some bilsteins with h&r springs, don't remember the guys name though. but he was guna give me his s4 sway bar for a set of bike tires.