Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperCharger Theory

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:48 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: SuperCharger Theory

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

I always wanted to try this on a 1.8/2.0T
i been pondering this idea for a while and i thought i would share with you
it not something i can do now since i have no fund[&o]
get a large supercharger and drop the whole turbo thing
i want a nice track car someday and i dont want the big lag from a big turbo
i want a lot of low and mid range power and a supercharger would do the trick

does it make sense to u guys
our car are prepped for boost already you know so a supercharger should
work well with our engines

theres superchargers that make about 20+ PSI now which would be perfect for our engines
you guys see any flaws in my plansor any i just insane

besides the crazy custom pully and belts and tuningthats gonna have to be made someday is there something im missing in my idea
thats what i'm saying about the 1.8 or a 2.0 being possibly too small for a s/c that can produce that much boost. i'm not saying that there aren't cars with engines that size that have a s/c, i'm saying that to run a s/c that can produce that much boost, might require an engine much bigger than a 1.8 / 2.0litre

Old 05-02-2007, 12:56 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Well, with the right supporting internal, computer, and fuel mods, you might be able to get a small engine to be able to run a 20 psi s/c. If you're going to do something like that, you're going to need some crazy skills, and probably a team of semi-crazed gearheads to do it all.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:24 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Actually... thinking about it, would it be too impossible to run a dual s/c setup? Think about it, a small one to develop boost down low, and then a larger one that clutches in once the engine is developing enough power to turn it. Much like a twin turbo setup. It would totally be an awesome project if someone would foot the bill for it...

Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 AM
3rd Gear

all someone needs is 20 grand and a car... piece of cake, lol. if i had the funds i would take on the project for sure.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:41 AM
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: cyberlogicx
you're going to need some crazy skills, and probably a team of semi-crazed gearheads to do it all.
paging tomritt. you have a new job

Old 05-02-2007, 01:59 AM

It wouldn't be worth it at all imho. Look at the G60 Corrado, people swap the supercharger for a turbo all the time because the supercharger sucks *** and the VR6 n/a motor eats them all day long.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

The problem with Superchargers is that they provide boost all the time. Yeah, I said it. You don't need 20 lbs of boost when you are cruising down the highway. You only need it to accelerate. Turbo provides this to you, and if you use a twin scroll turbo, you get the full power range with little to no turbo lag. Superchargers are over-rated.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:12 AM
1st Gear

Wellits timethrow in my two cents. My wife has a the 1.8L A4 and I have a Ford Lightning and the difference between her car and mytruck is like night and day. I know that you really can't compare both vehicles but, what im taking about are the characteristics of the two different systems. My wifes car has a borla exhaust, revo flash, and an intake.Im not real sure how much boost the turbo is spitting out since i havent installed a boost gauge yet and in my truck im pushing 16 psi.Superchargersdo take power to make power andboost is limited on arelativelysmall supercharger thatwould be able to fit in the engine bay. The theory in producinghigh horsepoweris to makehigh boost and low airtemperatures.The stock superchargeron my truck makes less powerthatlargeraftermarket supercharges like Kenny Bellwith both superchargers producing the same about of boost.As far as trying to install a supercharger in a A4 would be going back wards on an already efficient system that turbos provide. Visit any lightning or cobra forum and any owner that have the horsepower bug are converting theirvehicles to turbo systems. So instead of dropping money converting from a turbo to a SC, I say buy your self a big bad turbo and get some forged internals for your engine.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:21 AM
1st Gear

Sorry joshd2012 but superchargers do not run all the time they are vaccum driven. If you drive around normally the super charger willnever produce boost. But stomp on it and you will get instant power and no lag. Oh yeah supercharges sound way better than than turbos.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 AM

You need power to make powerwith aSC. Meaning it is pretty insufficient when running low boost. If you were planning on goin full out then yea SC is the way but not if you just wanting to do like8-9 secs quaeter mileor something. That is why the fastest four cylinders are running turbos and doing around 7secsbut the 4-5 sec funny cars are running SC. Soooo..

Pure drag car = SC
Street Legal or Pro street drag car = Turbo