B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My mysterious P1613 theory...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 PM
4th Gear
Default My mysterious P1613 theory...

I have a theory involving my P1613 code, and it goes something like this:

The P1613, when googled, leads you to believe that there is some sort of short in the CEL circuitry itself. Upon further investigation, the TCM sends the ECU a test signal when you first start the car. Now, I have a manual, and this light first popped up after I had to swap out the ECU.

If I ended up with an ECU coded for an auto trans, the manual trans test signal isn't being interpetted correctly by the ECU, and it thinks its a short, throwing the P1613. I also think this might be the reason I appear to be in limp mode. (5psi with no apparant boost leaks).

Now, it is my understanding that VAG COM can switch the ECU to "manual transmission" with no problem. But I don't have VAG COM (yet, but I will, very, very soon). And, I don't know how to do it...

BUT, once I get it, and figure it out, I'll let you know if my theory is correct. Then it's time to send the new ECU off to APR to be rechipped...

Because STOCK SUCKS!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Your logic is spot-on in my eyes.

Glad to hear you're FINALLY gonna get VAG-COM

In the VAG-COM program itself, you'll click on Engine-01 (to access the ECU), click on Coding, and a dialog box should pop up telling you what each of the digits in the coding means. If you'd like, I can even spend 5mins and get step-by-step screenshots on how to do it (after work).

Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM
4th Gear

Ha! The biggest problem I have with trying to get VAGCOM right now is that I have a Mac only house, and the vag is windows based. I really don't want to try and mess with some software that lets you run windows in Mac. But, here in the next couple days I'm getting a new computer "for the house" that will be a PC. It's for the kids, and my wife sometimes takes online college classes that require the use of a PC instead of Mac.

So, once I get that going, I will download the lite version and get me a cable and go from there. I don't need a step by step breakdown just yet. But, if I get stuck, I'll let you know. If anything, at least I can clear my pesky airbag light!

Speaking of cable, and my lack of desire to search with my phone, which one do I need, exactly?

Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
Ha! The biggest problem I have with trying to get VAGCOM right now is that I have a Mac only house, and the vag is windows based. I really don't want to try and mess with some software that lets you run windows in Mac. But, here in the next couple days I'm getting a new computer "for the house" that will be a PC. It's for the kids, and my wife sometimes takes online college classes that require the use of a PC instead of Mac.
Mac sucks May I suggest investing in a Windows-based netbook? I bet you could find one on Craigslist for <$200, and they are easily small enough to fit under one of the front seats and are incredibly handy if you ever need to diagnose something when away from home (I also keep my cable in the glove box).
They are so handy, that after work I spent a few minutes taking screenshots:
Name:  ECU_coding.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  262.6 KB

As for which cable you need, I have no clue. I bought the full legit Ross-Tech version. Hopefully somebody else will answer that question.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 AM
4th Gear

Thanks metalman. I'm seriously thinking about the NetBoot/ small laptop idea. I had someone offer to sell me theirs with vag com already loaded.

And since I'm pretty sure my next car, and the car after that, and so on and so forth, will all be Audi's, I'm sure it's a worthy investment.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 AM

Did they offer to sell the cable with it? Legit VAG COM software unfortunately is essentially useless without a legit Ross-Tech cable. Anybody can download the full version software from their website.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 AM
4th Gear

UPDATE:

I bought a Windows PC, and I got a cable from Amazon.com. Downloaded VCSD Lite and struggled to get the damn cable to download the correct drivers to work...

Finally, once I got that straightened out, I hooked her up, and sure enough: my ECU was coded for a FWD automatic. I have a 5 speed quattro. So I changed a couple numbers, (thanks for that MetalMan... huge help) and the CEL cleared itself, and has not returned. I also cleared the Airbag light while I was in there. So, this is what it looked like yesterday on my way to the golf course:

Attached Thumbnails My mysterious P1613 theory...-photo.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Awesome Brad. MetalMan, thanks for the kickass tutorial. Would you be willing to make a new post in this forum as a DIY, titled something like "DIY How to recode an ECU for use in your car"? If you would and just take your post with the screenshots and reword it as a step by step, I'd love to add it to the DIY forum. With all the guys that are buying secondhand ECUs to have flashed while keeping their originals stock, this would probably get rid of a lot of headaches.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:46 AM
1st Gear

Hi, did u recode to 06201?

I think i am having the same problem as of now. I have an AEB 1.8T Quattro Manual P box. Just bought an used P box and swapped it in and right away, it got CEL P1613.

I am going to use vagcom and see what my current code is and report back.

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
UPDATE:

I bought a Windows PC, and I got a cable from Amazon.com. Downloaded VCSD Lite and struggled to get the damn cable to download the correct drivers to work...

Finally, once I got that straightened out, I hooked her up, and sure enough: my ECU was coded for a FWD automatic. I have a 5 speed quattro. So I changed a couple numbers, (thanks for that MetalMan... huge help) and the CEL cleared itself, and has not returned. I also cleared the Airbag light while I was in there. So, this is what it looked like yesterday on my way to the golf course:

Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 PM
4th Gear

It was a couple years ago now, but yes, according to the list posted above, 06201 would have been the code I used (and it worked).