Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tons of maintenance to be done…Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Default Tons of maintenance to be done…Need Help

ok so since i bought my car in July 2006 i havent done much maintance on my car and since its time to do a coupple items i want to change all the things that i have been wanting fix/replace

My Car: 2001 A4 1.8t Quattro Manual 84,000km

What i have so far:

1. Tranny fluid and Rear Diff Fluid Change

2. A8 Brake Upgrade:
ECS OEM Big Brake Kit - (plain Aftermarket Rotor, W/o Pads) ES#89
Hawk - Ceramic Compound Performance Pads ES#3951 [/align]

3. Bosch Fuel Filter change (bought from ECS)

4 Timming Belt
Question:
ok so right now im looking at getting the ECS Tuning Ultimate 1.8T Timing Belt Kit- Early VIN AWM Engine Codes ES#1542. as i was looking i saw they have the ultimate kit that also come with a Lightweight Crank Pully. How come this lightweight crank pully kit is not offered for my AWM engine code? does the light pilly make any noticable diffrence? can i get one for my engine or is it not made for the AWM engine?
Link to timming belt page: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...ategory=Timing

5. Samco 3piece intercooler piping + Turbo inlet pipe (got for a steel at waterfest)

6 Snub Mount
Question:
i heard it is worth installing this when doing the timming belt beucase everything is already taken appart, is this true? what is the best inexpensive sunb mount that i can get for my car? will it cause a lot of vibration in the car? (i have a AWE DTS bar also)

7 Most Importantly:
QUESTION:
is there anything missing maintance wise that should be done at the same time as the current stuff on my list?
is there anything recommended that i should do concidering everything would be taken appart for the TB job? this would include any inexpensive preformane upgrades as well as any other maintance that would be worth doing now rather then later since everything is taken appart?

Thanks a lot for anyone that helps me out. I know i am asking a ton of questions here but since this is my first time doing all of this to my car i want to make sure i use all the right parts and im not forgetting to do anything. so if there is anything that i sould also conider doing at the time of all the stuff listed that would be great. i am new to this kind of stuff and would like to ask for ur patience and help since i want to make sure i do everything right so my car can last for many more years to come. if someone that is tech certified can help me with this that would be great also.

all comments, sugestions welcome

Thanks a lot,

Anthony

Old 01-25-2008, 12:31 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Tons of maintenance to be done…Need Help

as for the gear oil your dead on, 3 quarts for the tranny and center diff and 1.9 quarts for the rear diff using the same oil, although keep in mind you need a special tamper proof tool for the transmission it cost about $25 online and i think you can get it off ECS, as for snub mounts i have a $30 034 motorsport snub which is same as the greedspeed mount, although id suggest the APR unit, you may need to trim it but it fits snug in the factory snub bracket unlike the 034 unit. oh for brakes, you need DOT4 brake fluid id stick with prestone or castrol since its the standard and i doubt you do enough rough driving that would require some racing brake fluid. although look into the audi dealerships becaus ei think they have their own brand of brake fluid. otherwise it looks liek you got everything nailed, just make sure you get all the stuff with the timing belt such as t-stat, water pump ect.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 AM

thanks a lot for you help, can anyone help me with the t-belt question with the lightweight pully?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear

my tranny (six speed b6) took a few ounces over 3 quarts...

i wouldnt get a lightweight pulley, it will help your revs drop quicker and your car spin up quicker but our engines are internally balanced (ot something like that, maybe someone knows the exact definition) so its been my understanding that a lightweight pulley can throw of the balance of the engine just slightly and cause some increased wear on the inside... however some people have had them for 20k or longer without problems...

my 04 didnt need a special tranny drain tool but i hear prior models did, #3357 triple square i think, its in one of the DIYs

Old 01-25-2008, 09:40 AM

thanks does anyone have any insint on what papachristou said about the pully? also when i order the complete T-blet kit does it include everything i need or is there anything extra i should be ordering? and i already have the special drain plug to do the tranny change

Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Guru

m5, i know that this question was brought up recently and cincy(i think) was saying this is the most horrible thing you could do to your car...... like said it make things move faster cause of less weight, but it can shorten the life of the motor i think he said and there was something else...... you might pm him, and have him answer in here

i also am doing the tb/wp with apr tip, fmic(need to get piping, and will probably look into an apr tb hose, if one is offered, samco hoses are junk from what i hear(compared to apr that is) at least with the tip hose, and tp/dp

here is the kit i ordered for my awm motor.......but you will need to give purems the last 4 of your vin to make sure it is the same kit..... tip and tb kit for $433.25
tb kit

Timing Belt Kit (TBKIT002F)

tip
APR Compressor Inlet Hose (MS10001X)

i would look into a tip, unless that is part of the "kit" you got at waterfest

Old 01-25-2008, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear

i dont think its the WORST thing you can do for your engine (running dino oil with a small filter for 10k oil changes is probably the worse and quickest way to engine failure), but certainly not the best, especially if you plan on keeping it for many miles and years to come.... the OE pulley is harmonically balanced i believe, whereas the lightweight one isnt, so it can upset the internal balance of the crank.. but there is quite a few people with them, and i havent seen a catastrophic engine failure from one yet, but thats not to say someone isnt close

here is a thread we just had on audizine about them

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...tweight+pulley

Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 AM
5th Gear

leightweight pulleys wont really fvck with your engine, but underdrive pulleys will, but honestly it's not gona really affect much positively, could screw with your engine negatively in the long run, and is a waste of money IMO. and my revs raise and drop off quick enough with my 11lb flywheel anyways