Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Default Water Pump Replacement Question

Hi,

Brand new to the forum. Quick question.

I have a 2000 A4 1.8T. So the car is almost 6 years old with just over 50,000 miles. There is a clicking noise coming from the area of the water pump when the engine is running. The mechanic said that it'd cost $240 to just dismantle things to be able to identify where the noise is coming from. To replace water pump and timing belt would cost between $900 and $1000.

1. Is it way too early to replace the water pump and timing belt? I know it's early, but is it unreasonably early? I mean, it seems like it'd be a disaster if it blew out on me.

2. Is this price too much?

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Water Pump Replacement Question

it's a little on the early side, most people do the TB service around 60k. but yes it would be a disaster if that was actually the problem and it went out on ya.

you might want to go to a another indy mechanic who specializes in Audis to get a second opionion and quote. there are several other things you want to replace along with the pump and belt like, rollers, accessory belt, t-stat.

or hopefully the clicking has nothing to do with water pump. are you due for an oil change? what kind of oil have you been using?

Old 08-09-2006, 03:35 AM

Thanks so much jja. It's great to get some reassurance from someone who doesn't have a stake in it. I really appreciate it.

I know it's early at 50K miles, but I really don't want to risk it. I figure I might as well get it done now while the car's in the shop, rather than risk blowing out the engine when I'll probably have to change it around 60K, which is probably within the next year anyway. It's making a pretty obvious clicking noise that anyone can hear and that people have commented to me about. Also, there's been a little bit of water dripping out of the bottom of my car. Not sure what's causing it, but it may be related. Bottom line, I think I am going to go for it.

I got a second opinion from another mechanic about the cost of replacing the timing belt and water pump, and it was in line with what the first guy said (about $1200). I will definitely follow up about the other parts.

I am due for an oil change too, but unfortunately it's been making the clicking noise since before the last oil change. I almost always take my car to Audi dealerships for oil changes, so I assume they were using the good stuff. My last oil change was not at an Audi dealership, so they probably did not use the best oil for an Audi, but to be honest, I didn't really ask too much about what oil they were putting in the car. This time around, the mechanic is going to be putting in non-synthetic, good oil.

Sorry for lack of car lingo, but I'm learning. Anyway, thanks so much, and any other advice about water pumps, timing belts or oil would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-09-2006, 03:58 AM
Zombie Defense Force

dosent audi charge 1000 if so i would have them do it