Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do i need for custom exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Default RE: What do i need for custom exhaust?

It depends on the design of the muffler. Most of the fart-can Hondas running around use piping that's too big and a perforated core, straight through muffler. Many aftermarket mufflers are that design, and it's for a good reason - they work with a good balance of volume and flow. The problem with the Hondas, is that they just plain don't sound good with uncorked exhaust systems. Some cars sound better than others. And those Hondas probably have deleted the resonators (if there were any in the first place). Go on YouTube and do a search for "Audi A4 exhaust" or something like that and you'll find sound clips. You'll be pleased - the 1.8T and the 2.8 sound really good with performance mufflers on them. My particular favorite for sound so far is the Magnaflow 14816 - it's a really ballsy, growling tone on the 2.8 engine, and is on my shopping list in the near future.

As for the full cat-back, everyone's suggestions are right on. You might see if you can find a place that can do mandrel bending vs the crush bending that most shops employ (mandrel benders are expensive and many shops don't have them). Mandrel bending is named because an insert (called, amazingly, a mandrel) is inserted into the pipe at the bend, so that when the pipe is bent, it maintains a consistent internal diameter, instead of wrinkling and crushing down at the bend. This chokes off flow. To be honest, on the cars that most of us are running, crush bent piping is probably going to make about 1/9 of a hp less than mandrel bending, but the mandrel finish is a lot nicer looking and carries more of a quality look and feel. And if you're one of the few making ridiculous power (say, above 400whp), then the mandrel bending might actually make a difference on your car.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
3rd Gear

I checked again and the only2.5 inletI found was this: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ain&id=770not too sure how well that would work, it looks huge. I may just have to go 2.25 then.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:24 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: UpstateNYA4

As for the full cat-back, everyone's suggestions are right on. You might see if you can find a place that can do mandrel bending vs the crush bending that most shops employ (mandrel benders are expensive and many shops don't have them). Mandrel bending is named because an insert (called, amazingly, a mandrel) is inserted into the pipe at the bend, so that when the pipe is bent, it maintains a consistent internal diameter, instead of wrinkling and crushing down at the bend. This chokes off flow. To be honest, on the cars that most of us are running, crush bent piping is probably going to make about 1/9 of a hp less than mandrel bending, but the mandrel finish is a lot nicer looking and carries more of a quality look and feel. And if you're one of the few making ridiculous power (say, above 400whp), then the mandrel bending might actually make a difference on your car.
YaI read about mandrel vs. crush bending on another thread in my search last night. it may haveeven been your post. I will def be going with a shop that can do mandrel bendseven itcosts a little more. I'm just trying to get everything in a row so when I have the money in 3 weeks I knowwhat Ineed todo.

would the difference between a 2.5 diam and 2.25 be negligable if I don't plan on going bt? With the exhaust I've pretty much got the car where I want power wise, otherwise I'm just biding time untill I can get an S4