Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is winter tire necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Default Is winter tire necessary?

My friend just bought his new 18 inch ASA AR2 with Winter tires on his B6.... and he insist me to get the winter tires too, and we both live in CT, however, the dealership says to me that, it is not necessary to get a winter tire, since I got the all-season tire.

But I really want to know, what you guys think, especially you folks live in the upper East coast. tks

BTW...I got a premium package on my B7, should I go with 19' or just 18' without changing or adjust suspension!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Is winter tire necessary?

All seasons should be fine, especially if you have quatto. I went through last winter with summer tires and fwd and it was no fun. Im going to switch to all season once the temps are steady 40 degrees or less, probably next month. FWD w/summer tires w/out quattro=death wish.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear

If you're rolling on new all-seasons and really don't want to spend the money, then you'll be OK for the snow. Not great, but OK. Now, if you pony up and get some snow tires (Bizzaks, Dunlop M3) then your car will be a freaking tank in the snow. The envy of all your friends as they slip and slide down highway onramps, or attempt to break through the wall of snow that the city plow left at the end of your driveway.

I'm from Rochester NY, so we probably get similar snow amounts. If you have the money, I'd say get yourself a new set of winter wheels and snowtires....17 or 18 inch for winter. You'll pay to mount/balance the tires once, then you'll be able to swap them on and off at your leisure. Hell, get yourself some steel wheels for winter....they're cheap as hell and won't bend on snow-filled potholes.

For anyone from the Northeast with performance summer tires...don't even THINK of using them in the snow. Big skull & crossbones.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear

I have all season tires with 18". I did not have any problem last winter (it was not that tough tho.)

When I had my acura, I had summer tires with 18" all winter and it was a crazy winter. I had to pray everytime hit the break pedal because it never stopped in short distance.

I wanna see lots of snow in this winter tho

Old 10-02-2006, 02:42 PM
1st Gear

So since I only drove 4,000 miles, and snow is probably coming 1 and 1/2 months later, I should put up probably put another 1,500 miles, so I guess my all season tires should still consider new!!!
But actually I'm also worried about my rims too.

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

All seasons should be fine, especially if you have quatto. I went through last winter with summer tires and fwd and it was no fun. Im going to switch to all season once the temps are steady 40 degrees or less, probably next month. FWD w/summer tires w/out quattro=death wish.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the tip, actually I was thinking if I can get a cheaper rims , I definitely will go get the performance winter tires...but I've tried the tirerack.com, its not easy to find cheap ones...

ORIGINAL: TheJazz7

If you're rolling on new all-seasons and really don't want to spend the money, then you'll be OK for the snow. Not great, but OK. Now, if you pony up and get some snow tires (Bizzaks, Dunlop M3) then your car will be a freaking tank in the snow. The envy of all your friends as they slip and slide down highway onramps, or attempt to break through the wall of snow that the city plow left at the end of your driveway.

I'm from Rochester NY, so we probably get similar snow amounts. If you have the money, I'd say get yourself a new set of winter wheels and snowtires....17 or 18 inch for winter. You'll pay to mount/balance the tires once, then you'll be able to swap them on and off at your leisure. Hell, get yourself some steel wheels for winter....they're cheap as hell and won't bend on snow-filled potholes.

For anyone from the Northeast with performance summer tires...don't even THINK of using them in the snow. Big skull & crossbones.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: jliu

I'm also worried about my rims too.
do a high pressure water wash at least twice a week during the saltly days. then you should be ok.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

Count me in, I already see how my Quarttro works in rainy days, now its the time to prove in the winter....

But got to make sure the right tires first...

ORIGINAL: aRIf

I wanna see lots of snow in this winter tho

Old 10-02-2006, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Seems that you guys doesn't really prefer the 19'.....any perticular reasons or just personal preferences...

Old 10-02-2006, 04:27 PM
4th Gear

I've run all season tires for the past 6 winters without problems. I have ESP.
Aspect ratio is another consideration. I wouldn't go below 55 in the winter.
I'm useing Googyear Assurance Triple Tread 205 X 60R 15.