Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

A5 driver info display color differences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:49 PM
1st Gear
Default A5 driver info display color differences?

I am new the Audi world, but will be ordering an A4 or A5 here in the next few weeks...but I have a question.

On a 2011 A4 or A5, is the only way you get color (other than the orange/red LCD) driver info disply is to get the navigation package?

I could have swore that I sat in an A4 Avant w/o nav and it had the color display which matches nicely with the colors of the MMI display, but the 2011A4 sedan (Premium Plus package) I drove the other day had the orange/red display (car did not have Navigation).

I then drove a Q5 and A5, both with Navigation and they had the color driver info display between the speedo and tach. The sales guy was not aware and said nobody ever commented on it before me... I do not like the orange/red display (looks like it's trying to warn me of something all the time) but don't want to spend $2500 for a navigation system just to get all the colors on my dash board to match up.

The Audi website and brochures are very "discrete" about showing anything photo's of a dash board w/o navigation.

So, do any of you know what I am talking about and can advise? Thanks.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Get the Nav!

That's tough to find out, isn't it? I, too, didn't really want to spend the extra ca$h on the Navigation system, but I do see some use for this package.

While I couldn't care less about the GPS function (I could stick a $70 TomTom on the dash and that would be adequate), I do like the idea of a rear view camera and the ultrasound device. I used to drive buses in Europe, and for a few days I had a bus with a rear view camera. I found a space to park in Paris about 45 feet long (the bus was 40 feet long), and it was a breeze backing into that space! A guy walking by almost fell over when he saw me back it in like it were a little Smart Car.

So I decided to order the Navigation with mine. While the added value doesn't cover the cost from my own perspective, it might retain a little more value for when I sell it one day (to someone who absolutely must have HD radio)!