Audi A5 This sleek mid-sized A5 coupe offers performance with a roomy interior.

Electrical issue with oil levels

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM
1st Gear
Default Electrical issue with oil levels

we have a 2011 audi a5 sportback and it doesnt have a dip stick for the oil under the bonnet, only an electrical reading from inside on the mmi. the problem is that the display is saying that we have no oil? but on the display on the drivers dashboard doesnt say anything, it was fine last time we was low on oil but this time it says we have none, no warnings are being given and the engine sounds normal.. any help please????

Old 06-22-2012, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

I've noticed some variance in the readings too. Check the manual as I believe there are instructions on when it can be read correctly. I'd take it to the dealer anyway and let them top it off.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Tech Certified

These things have been a nightmare since their inception in 2009. Not the A5 but the electronic reading of the oil.

The Audi Technical Assistance Team in Virginia has given us many "fixes" and run around. Replacing hood latches, software updates, hardcore resets by disconnecting battery for 30 minutes.

In the end... the actually fix, isn't a fix. It understanding how the system works. And getting the system to the point where it wants to perform a recalibration of itself.

So the engine must be at operating temp. With the key on and engine off, pop the hood. The oil screen should say something along the lines of "no information is available about the oil yet" or "oil information is only available after two minutes" If your not getting this and it still says no or low oil try cycling the key off and on, and closing and popping the hood. The hood latch is supposed to send the start calibration signal to the instrument cluster.

When you to that screen. close the hood and keep watching the screen.... it still should say "no information is available" for about two minutes then give you your accurate oil level.

If your getting add oil still, add one quart, if you already did and you feel like you know you have enough oil in engine.... take it to the dealer.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

I've read several threads about oil level readings. I have a new A4q (three weeks) and have checked the oil twice. It seems fairly simple. Engine at operating temp; park on a level surface; turn engine off; wait two minutes; turn ignition on (don't start engine); and go thru MMI to check level.

Now, am I missing something? Are owners finding that after going through this process the reading from MMI is incorrect? Can we not count on that reading?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM
1st Gear
Default defective oil warning light.

Originally Posted by liamlawrence1998
we have a 2011 audi a5 sportback and it doesnt have a dip stick for the oil under the bonnet, only an electrical reading from inside on the mmi. the problem is that the display is saying that we have no oil? but on the display on the drivers dashboard doesnt say anything, it was fine last time we was low on oil but this time it says we have none, no warnings are being given and the engine sounds normal.. any help please????
hello liam, we have a similar problem and our a5 has been with audi since early feb 2013. They have identified a defect exists but are not able to rectify it as they are unsure how to solve the problem. How did you resolve your issue. thanks j

Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 AM
1st Gear

Hello,

I've just bought an A5 2010 and only just found that there seems to be an issue with oil levels. I also got warning from a friend that it is very common with A5 and all my friend said is that I just need to make sure I top it up constantly. please help me to understand this mystery (if any). Also has it got a deep stick?

Kindest regards