Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 A6 2.7L Turbo. Aggravating leak!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

Yes and yeah. do you know the what that seal is actually called? And I'm going to redo it all while its in parts. Its to cold now and the money will have to be saved up don't have that much to just go by the parts. Plus time off work cuz I won't have the car for a few days. Save myself 3 grand in labor fees and do it myself.

Last edited by pyrobionic; 01-14-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:07 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pyrobionic
Yes and yeah. do you know the what that seal is actually called? And I'm going to redo it all while its in parts. Its to cold now and the money will have to be saved up don't have that much to just go by the parts. Plus time off work cuz I won't have the car for a few days. Save myself 3 grand in labor fees and do it myself.
Search for a kit like this. Includes all you need to stop the oil leaks.

Audi A6 Valve Cover Gasket Kit - Audi A6 Valve Cover Gaskets 30V

I used this kit on a 2.8 and no more smokey oil burning. Good luck. Let the black RTV cure for 24 hours so you don't have to do the work twice.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Your part # 17 leaker is called the half-moon seal (aka camshaft valley seal in Blauparts link). A common leak spot along with all the other seals they show. Enhanced version kit shows a T shaped cam chain tensioner tool you'll need also. Could get it with the kit or separately on many sites. If you're doing timing belt, might as well include this in the mix too, as you plan. Somewhat easier since you can completely remove the cams.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

Your on the right path doing you're homework ahead of time. Just realize there's more cost & labor involved when you add in the TB task. But the TB task is the more important one to make sure you get done because if it goes bad, oil leak will be the least of your worries. Generally it's more than just the belt you'll be changing. There's serpentine belt (possibly), coolant, water pump, tensioner, etc. costs involved too. AND be sure you have all the tools you'll need. There are some unique timing related tools (cam lock bar & crank lock pin) also needed. Various metric torx & allen sockets needed too, along with 2 jaw puller for cam sprockets. The site Huskerbob linked does rent these with TB kits, for specific time range.
You mention you won't have the car for a few days. I suggest you assume it'll be out of use for a week, if this is your 1st time tackling the TB & cam seal tasks.

Kudos for taking this on yourself, as we did. Certainly saves you money in the long run, if you plan on keeping & maintaining the Audi. But if you're tight on money now for just the valve cover seal kits, be aware it gets worse with the TB kit, and other maintainence items yet to discover.