Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20' MMR HR4 Vibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM
1st Gear
Default 20' MMR HR4 Vibration Problem

Hello Everyone,

Need some help, just picked up a new set of 20' MMR HR4 black diamond rims and tires, rims are rapped with Falcon 30cm low profile.
My dilema is that I get significant vibration at high speeds >60mph and gets really ugly >80mph, additionally I get an increase in vibration whe deceleration from 80mph.

Here is whats been done:

Balanced 3 times
Force ballance 2 times
Changed hub ring twice, metal and plastic

When I replace with stock rim car runs as an A6 should, no problems... New Rims are brand new and have no hits, scratches, bumps or anything!

What I do know is that MMR does not make this rim in hubcentric for the 2010 A6 3.0T.

Dont know what to do, any thoughts?

Thank you

Old 08-08-2013, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear

If I am correct, I believe Audi rims are hubcentric, not lugcentric. I had after market 17" rims on my 2.7T and I experienced the same problem you're having: Vibrations at different speeds.

I finally caved and went back to my stock rims because I couldn't get the centering rings to work right. Plastic or metal didn't make a difference. Balancing and force balancing didn't work, either.

It seems that our steering racks and suspension setups and VERY picky when it comes to riding smoothly.

The only other thing I can think of would be to have the runout of your rims checked. Perhaps something is out of round. Also, it maybe worth verifying that the tires and rims have been phase-matched: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=17 I'm not sure if shops normally do this when they force balance a tire as it seems like it's a lot of extra work that most people won't notice as to whether or not it's been done.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response...I've contacted MMR and they state that over tha last 5 years this rim its been on sale, this issue has not been brought up. I find that hard to believe! They have agreed to send new RIM free of charge.

I'm just hopefull that perhaps someone in the forum has the same car with same rims and tires and they can tell me that they have no problem. I really like these rims, they look incredible on the car!

Old 08-08-2013, 03:48 PM
1st Gear

Here is the car with the rims on

Attached Thumbnails 20' MMR HR4 Vibration Problem-a6-mmr-hr4.jpg  
Old 11-17-2013, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Problem Solved!

After 4 months of messing around with these rims I finally figure it out, what a stupid and inexpensive solution…

It turned out to be the hub ring spacers, when I switched to carbon fibber the vibration was completely eliminated. It turns out that the ones I had where made out of aluminum and with change in temperature (heat from brakes) they would expand and contract hence vibrating at random intervals and depending of weather conditions. The other thing to keep in mind is the fit of the spacers, it must be snug with absolutely no play on rim or hub. I had read in a previous post that you want the spacer ring to fit snug on the center hub, I don't recall where i read that but thanks a million for the tip.

E