Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 A6 2.7t randomly died while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 03:30 AM
1st Gear
Default 2000 A6 2.7t randomly died while driving, service "?"

i was driving home from shooting some pool, had driven about a total of 50 miles tonight, was heading back on post cruising about 45 in 20 .F degree weather, lights on, radio on, heater on auto, seat heat on, just tapped the gas to accelerate a smidge, and heard a light thud and the engine died. nothing else died, the car didnt lock up, i coasted to a stop turned on hazards, put it in park, shut everything off. turned key, started right up, turned everything on, drove the 2 miles to post, hasnt re-occured as of yet. definately want some input on what may have caused this or what i may be looking at here, i've had the car around 2 1/2 weeks resulting in around 500-ish miles, done a somewhat thorough inspection everything is functioning minus a secondary emissions sensor which is popping up check engine light. only other indication of any potential problem is a light wetness of oil across oil pan, which as of smell taste etc., indicates engine oil, although no loss of oil level has been noted at all nor does it drip, just a light wet film of it. im somewhat worried as a newer audi owner but a somewhat proficient and intelligent mechanic, but im learning this car, and this worries me at the moment.

thanks,

matt.

another note, the car was regularly maintenanced and serviced at Audi and VW dealers for the first 3 owners up until 85k miles, then went to private owner. as it sits it just rolled 98, somewhat worried about the timing belt and such but on an enlisted army paycheck im doing what i can on my own as i can, but once again, guidance is appreciated. i've searched alot and heard everything from "i got 140k out of original timing belt and turbos" to, replaced at 30k. so, additional input is appreciated.

Last edited by flyboyx; 12-12-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear

It's about time to replace the t-belt. No panic, but soon.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 PM
1st Gear

i appreciate the advice, i know the t belt is upcoming, and starting to plan it since it will more than likely be a DIY job on my part, found the kit that seems to be popular amongst the owners on here, and looking into how to go about it. aside from that the car has been doing me quite well, had it around 2 weeks and put somewhere around 500 miles on it, normal driving. but the mileage makes me feel a little better when i see a guy blow one at 150k, so i'll have it done when the army pays me enough to have the time lol

Last edited by flyboyx; 12-13-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

I'm at about 130k and my turbo's finally blew so you should be good. You need a vagcom. It will be your best friend in diagnosing problems. Look online in the right places for "free" software then buy a knockoff cable on ebay for like $20. Let me know if you have any problems. Also Bentley and ETKA are also really good to use. ETKA is great software that will find any part from your car and partnumbers just like the dealer. They have pictures of all the parts so if you're doing a job you'll be able to see where everything goes. If you know where to look online you'll find ETKA it's usually in another language and you'll have to go into options to change it to english once you install it though.

Last edited by justinm001; 12-14-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear

Just under 158k with all oem parts except clutch,flywheel, and alternator. Chipped at 80k. Do the TB, water pump, all tensioners, etc soon. If it slips or breaks, the valves hit the pistons. Two solids cannot occupy the same physical space. Use a good synthetic oil and change every 6-8k.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

im bringing back my old thread rather than start a new one since the topic is about the same. i just did a little emailing to the previous owner, supposedly the t-belt and one turbo were replaced by the 2nd owner of the a6, who owned it between 50-ish to 80-ish thousand miles, if i recall from the carfax. trying to find the guy to ask him about it, but thats the verbal affirmation, i would love for it to be true, just to not worry about the belt as much right now. turbo wise i was always a little interested as to why only one was replaced.... since i dont like that personally. but it seems the guy had been taking it to the stealership from what i could find.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear

If there is any question about when the timing belt was done --DO it again. It is better to be save than sorry