Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Audi A6 - Need Help with Some Cut Electrical Wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:11 PM
1st Gear
Default 2000 Audi A6 - Need Help with Some Cut Electrical Wires

Bought a used 2000 Audi A6 Avant Quattro with 2.8 engine recently and have had some major issues. There was apparently some front end damage that was not correctly repaired. I was thinking about selling the car for parts, but ended up getting a refund and being able to keep the car. So, now I basically have a free 2000 Audi A6 Avant quattro with 130k and trying to figure out if it is worth keeping and fixing it up. Anyways, I've fixed some of the cobbed body/fender damage, but noticed some cut wires and un-connected electrical fittings and was hoping for some help in identifying them. Car seems to run fine, no CEL, and Vag-Com scan is clean, so I am hoping they are for convenience items. I have the Bentely Service Manual, but really didn't find it helpful in identifying the wires. I've attached some pictures and thank you all in advance for any help you can offer.

First set of cut wires I found was inside the front passenger side fender, near the front bumper mount screws on the passenger side. There is a package wire cluster that has two wire pairs. One pair is a yellow and brown wire; the other is two black wires. Maybe brake pad sensor and homelink receiver wires?

Second issue is a cluster of wires, sensor connections under the plastic cover near the power steering fluid reservoir. There's one connector unconnected (white facing up in picture), another purple on top/green on bottom also unconnected, and a black one with what you may call an accordian elbow (two black wires exiting). Again hoping that these are non-essential wires, but want to know how to fix otherwise.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Audi A6 - Need Help with Some Cut Electrical Wires-audi_right_inner_fender1.jpg   2000 Audi A6 - Need Help with Some Cut Electrical Wires-audi_ps_electrical1.jpg   2000 Audi A6 - Need Help with Some Cut Electrical Wires-audi_ps_electrical2.jpg  

Last edited by kevinruswick; 02-08-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 AM
1st Gear

First what motor do you have? I have a 2001 A6 4.2 and I have also have had a 2000 v6 passat and the connectors were almost the same in the same location. You are missing the two large oval connectors for the A/C cooling fans that should be mounted one in front and one in back of the radiator and condenser. The green connector is for the A/C clutch. There should be one for the hood latch sensor. one for a sensor that is mounted in front of the condenser that is for the out side air temp. one for the fan switch. I have attached a pic of what mine looks like

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Audi A6 - Need Help with Some Cut Electrical Wires-photo0204.jpg  
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply and photo. I do have one of the large oval ones loose from the carrier. It was not connected when I got the car, when connected the AC fan typically comes on even when the engine is cold. Not sure where the other large oval wires are or other missing wires. I was hoping I could do this myself, but my Bentley manual isn't very helpful, so I appreciate any help I can find on this forum. I will probably end up taking to a local indy audi mechanic to figure out how much it will cost to put this thing back together correctly and whether it is even worth fixing.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
1st Gear

there is also a control module mounted in the bumper so if it is kicking on when its cold it is bad and i know they run around $200. if you are in the chicago area I could also give u a hand on fixing it. have you checked if your a/c compressor kicks on? i was just looking at a wiring dig for your motor and i think you will only have one connector. do you have one or two electric fans? Do you get your outside temp on your cluster?

Last edited by cmlltan; 02-09-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cmlltan
there is also a control module mounted in the bumper so if it is kicking on when its cold it is bad and i know they run around $200. if you are in the chicago area I could also give u a hand on fixing it. have you checked if your a/c compressor kicks on? i was just looking at a wiring dig for your motor and i think you will only have one connector. do you have one or two electric fans? Do you get your outside temp on your cluster?
Thanks for the reply. Where in the bumper is the control module located? I thought I found the coolant fan control module, but it wasn't in the bumper, it was below the ABS module. I grew up and lived in the Chicago area for my first 30 years, but am now in upstate NY. I still appreciate the offer to lend me a hand. I haven't checked the AC compressor. There is only one electric fan, it's obviously working since it comes on, but control for it is bad. My cluster does show an outside temp, but I am not sure it is accurate. I also was looking at parts diagrams, and I believe there is supposed to be an air temp sensor mounted in front of the radiator on the PS metal loop there. I don't know if this is the outside air temp sensor that connects to the cluster, but am thinking this might be one of the missing/cut wire connections. I also believe that the hood latch sensor is missing, this may be one of the other missing/cut wire connections. Still trying to figure out the third missing/cut wire connections. Getting a little frustrated, these wires are hard to track. If you have any other thoughts, please let me know.