Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

Electrical issue. Wires? Alternator? Battery? Worse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 PM
1st Gear
Question Electrical issue. Wires? Alternator? Battery? Worse?

Hello! First time poster here! Sorry to have to jump right into my issue, but I am at a loss. I have scoured everywhere looking for a simple answer but I did not find one. Find some posts with some of the symptoms I had, but nothing exactly and mostly unanswered posts; even for those. I wasn't going to start at the very begging, but I saw someone mention this in their post, so I will too. (grab popcorn, sorry)

Yesterday (out of town) when I parked my car at a friends house, about 60 seconds after I locked the car, the alarm went off (I was in the house already). Coincidence?

I started my 190 mile drive home. I was about half way and 45 miles from the nearest town when it started. The "Battery" light came on (alternator light, right side). When it came on so did my traction control light, abs light and my break light. The break light was only flashing, rest stayed on. My CD player also started to cut in and out. Instantly I turned off the radio, AC and cruise control. Went full on panic mode because I was in the hills with no cell service far from anything. About 5 miles and the "battery" light started to dim and eventually blinking while barely lit; then it went out.. Rest of the warning lights still light up bright. 6 miles from the small town my trip odo reset.

Made it to the small town and pulled in. I then turned the car off and back on (started no problem) and all the dash lights were off. Looked perfectly normal. There is no shops in the tiny town (besides a mom n pop that was closed), so I hit the road.

ZERO problems all the way back home (another 90 miles?) and I was playing the radio again. Left AC off this time. I pulled off the highway and into the gas station, idling and waiting my turn. All of a sudden the battery light came on, with all the lights before + airbag light. Just as fast as they all came on, the entire dash + gauges went dark and my radio turned off. I only live 1 mile away so in a panic I head home. Made it into the driveway and went to roll the windows up, they seemed to barely make it up and so I shut it off. Turned the key to see if it would start and got absolutely nothing out of it.

Today I rode my street bike to work. Upon returning home I opened the car door to pop the hood and notice the dash lights are on (odometer). So I stuck the key in and it started right up..... No warning lights.

I have checked and all the easily visible cables have no corrosion and are not loose. I am afraid to take it into town (20 miles) and break down half way there. Alternator is spinning fine as well. I do not have a ton of money right now and am hoping it is something loose but have not been able to track it down yet. Also going to check all the fuses right now.

Sorry to bore you to death, but I wanted to not leave out any details, as it was all random. If anyone has seen anything like this or any suggestions, it would help a lot. I do not own a VAG or a multi-meter. I am either going to borrow a meter tomorrow or attempt to take the car to the auto shop for free diagnostics. Very afraid for that though.

Thanks (Sorry for bad English/ grammar)

Last edited by Mattp33; 06-08-2015 at 08:38 PM.