Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Audi A6 2.7T auto transmission problem suspected.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:41 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Audi A6 2.7T auto transmission problem suspected.

I cannot find anything on the web even remotely close to the problem I am having.

First off, my car is old has probably 114-115k on it. I have kept it pretty maintained up until recently. Started having some problems with the CV axle and some other odd feeling stuff after that. Took it to a shop just to get it diagnosed turns out Steering rack and CV axles are in very bad shape a long with outer tie rod ends. No problem right? F paying the mechanics that much for simple bolt on stuff I have done on other cars..

Now! I start limping my car home and all of the sudden I am turning into the drive and the CV axle is doing it's thing making a really loud clack clack clack noise. But then I notice all of the sudden a very similar sound appears to be coming from the transmission? I stop put it into park and nothing, pop it back (with the steering wheel perfectly straight not touching anything except the gear shift at this point) into reverse and it is making a grinding/clanking/ partly squealing kind of noise. Went from Reverse to neutral real quick back to park. The engine at idle makes no noise, nothing other than shifting from park to drive or any gear really.

When I got out of the car from the passenger side wheel well (the one with the bad tie rod end and the worst of the two cv axles) had a very odd hot smell to it coming not only from the wheel well but under the hood as well ((keep in mind no smoke)). I didn't really look to much further than this I live in Colorado and it's to wet and cold to do stuff with out a garage. After about a week or so of sitting and all the ice/snow having melted off I checked under the car and noticed what looks like some kind of fluid sitting under where the CV Axle meets up with the Dif.

Any idea what this could be? Do you think the tranny is 100% shot if so I am going to have to either scrap the car or part out the engine. If you think it is something between $800 and $1200 to repair (part wise) I will consider having it fixed. At this point I don't even want to have it towed to a shop what is the point if all they will tell me is ok we need $500 to look at it.. oo BTW it's 10K to fix the tranny total rebuild lmao.

Sorry this is so long but I can't find anything close to my problem so I want to get as much detail in as possible. Thank you everyone for help with this and putting up with my wall of text.