Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 3.0 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Default 2002 3.0 Questions

Hey Guys,

First post here. Looks like there are some knowledgeable people on this forum. Searching for answers to a few questions.

Just bought a 2002 A6 Avant with the 3.0 quattro tip 77k miles. I have oil leaking from the cam pulley adjuster caps. Replaced the o-rings but they still leak. (figured it was worth a shot as they're only 6 bucks.)

I'm going to be doing the timing belt service in the next few weeks and would like to be able to fix these pulley cap leaks. Only thing I could find is that it seems to have happend to a couple people after doing the t-belt.

Are the cam seals worth doing on the with the timing belt on the 3.0?

I'm also getting a P0365 code (exhaust cam sensor bank 1). I've also had p0014 (exhaust cam adjuster bank 1 over advanced.) The only thing I could find on the p0365 code was possibly a weak timing belt tensioner?

Got a paper Bentley manual yesterday but there is absolutely zero info on the 3.0 engine in there.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chad

Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear

I would get on the T-Belt soon.

Ask auditech79 about the sensor. If it's bad the ecm won't know where the cam is to advance and retard timing. (just PM him)

You can't replace just the O-ring on those caps. I tried that too but I think the plastic warps a little. They are $4 at Audi.

I buy all of my OEM parts here;
http://www.primepartssuperstore.com/...5236&year=2002

You can get a t-belt kit from www.Blauparts.com
Do the cam seals because your right there but only use OEM for those don't trust aftermarket on those. The Crank seal is a total PITA so if it isn't leaking and your not feeling like you want to get pissed off I would leave it. If you decide to do it you need an OEM seal and a new crank bolt those are one time use tork to yield bolts. Cam bolts are reusable though!

other things you will need are the tools, Rent them from blauparts or buy them online at ebay.

I would also do all of the Vac lines $25 for Oem style braided tube at www.ecstuning.com. Also order some oil filters from them and save on the shipping.

Coils, If your coils are OK and not giving you misfires then You should order at least 1 and keep it on the shelf for when one goes. They will start to go before 90K. about $30each.

read this thread it will help with the t-belt job and the tools you need.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:57 PM

Hey Thanks for all the info!

So I just need to replace the caps. Good deal. Ordered them from http://www.genuineaudiparts.com/

Guess I should have gotten the cam seals too. I was going to skip the seals because they're a little pricey when you have to get 4. Are they the same as the 2.8/2.7 seals? The seals I've seen at parts places are like $20 ea. but on the OEM parts sites they're $7-8

When I search the part number for the AVK cam seal here http://www.vagcat.com/epc/ it comes up as a $16 part? Still a little confused on those.

I'm doing the timing belt a week from Monday. Kit from Blau should be here tommorow and I also got a new tension damper. I'm going to rent the tools from them but need to time it for their 7 day rental.

Coils seem OK but I've been down that road with the wife's Jetta. At least they're cheap right?

Probably won't start chasing the codes until after the t-belt is done. I did read AW that somebody got that code from a worn tensioner so I'm kind of hoping it might go away.

Thanks again for the response. I've had a couple 5cyl 20v Audis and worked on a few more but I'm a total newb on these cars.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Site Moderator

The 3.0L is different from the 2.8, 2.7 and 4.2l tensioners. You have a total of four tensioners and they are built into the cam pulleys themselves, the other motors have two and are chain driven. You should only need the cam caps, and maybe a couple valve cover gaskets.

That fault code could be a direct result of a loose or broken timing belt tensioner, i wouldn't drive it until you get that T belt replaced.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 AM

Thank you so much! Been feeling kind of lost with this 3.0. Looks like I've got everything I need then. T-belt is starting to look less and less intimidating.

Kind of glad my tensioner caps were leaking so I could get new ones. They must have been out at some point. Wonder if somebody changed the belt but not the tensioner or caps. Blau only gives you new o-rings and spring clips.