Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Audi A6 2.7L belt tensioner pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:59 PM
1st Gear
Default 2002 Audi A6 2.7L belt tensioner pulley

I am new to this (and any forum, for that matter), so I am not quite sure how this all works, but I have a problem with which I need some help. My wife's car (2002 Ausi A6 2.7L Twin Turbo) has thrown the serpentine belt and the culprit seems to be a bad pulley (pretty obvious, as bearing is totally GONE) on the tensioner. At least I think it is the tensioner pulley. I have three questions; 1) does anyone have a picture of the front of the engine showing the serpentine belt and all pulleys, 2) If this pulley is the bad one, can it be replaced without removing the front of the car and/or fan and 3) what is the best way to go about this repair. Thank you for your help!

I have found that the serpentine belt tensioner pulley has catastrophically failed. Can this be replaced without removing the tensioner from the engine? If not, it looks like a &!^(# of a job.

Last edited by wprobasco; 01-14-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 01-31-2018, 10:28 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wprobasco
I am new to this (and any forum, for that matter), so I am not quite sure how this all works, but I have a problem with which I need some help. My wife's car (2002 Ausi A6 2.7L Twin Turbo) has thrown the serpentine belt and the culprit seems to be a bad pulley (pretty obvious, as bearing is totally GONE) on the tensioner. At least I think it is the tensioner pulley. I have three questions; 1) does anyone have a picture of the front of the engine showing the serpentine belt and all pulleys, 2) If this pulley is the bad one, can it be replaced without removing the front of the car and/or fan and 3) what is the best way to go about this repair. Thank you for your help!

I have found that the serpentine belt tensioner pulley has catastrophically failed. Can this be replaced without removing the tensioner from the engine? If not, it looks like a &!^(# of a job.
I have found on further inspection, that the fastener for the tensioner pulley is on the back of the tensioner arm. Great idea, Audi! So, bottom line is you absolutely have to take off the entire belt tensioner assembly to change the pulley which requires you to place the front section of the car in the "service" position (REALLY STUPID DESIGN!). In doing so you might just as well change the entire tensioner assembly.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Just (as in 5 min ago) did the one on my 2001 A4 2.8 liter. I had to remove the electric fan and mount from the fan shroud. This was the only way for clearance for tools and removal.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:39 AM
1st Gear

VW Central is the best website which provided us all types of car automotive. If you are lost some parts own car don't worry you can buy our online store in Australia. Shop our Audi, Volkswagen, Shop Mercedes Benz Parts Online from VWCentral to increase your vehicle’s efficiency. We carry a great selection of cold air intake kit, inlet pipes, exhaust systems and many more. For more information please visit our website:- https://vwcentral.com.au/

Old 07-09-2019, 06:37 PM
1st Gear
Wink

P.S. I removed the intake (which is different than the A6) and had direct access to the 1 screw that holds the electric fan. Remove the fan with a small twist and pull. Once this is removed there is plenty of room to get tools in there to remove the tensioner. No need for the front end to be put in "service mode".

Old 07-10-2019, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

VW Central is the best Automotive car industry. Which provided us all types Automotive car parts.VW Central is a premier supplier of car parts & can perform any repair you need. Buy Audi, Volkswagen & Mercedes Benz Spare Parts from our online store in Australia.