Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 A6 tcm question...

Old 03-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Default 99 A6 tcm question...

So, I have experienced the problem of water in the passenger foot well shorting out my tcm thereby sending my tranny into limp mode. Initially I cured the problem by taking out the unit and setting it by my wood stove for a few hours with the factory cover pried off. Then, like a total bone head I re-installed prior to fixing the leak (windshield gasket) and got the damn thing wet again. Fortunately I had purchased a used replacement off of ebay and upon re-installing all seemed to be OK.

Second bone head maneuver.... I decided to "reset" the tcm manually by a method I had read on one of these posts (depress the gas peddle 3 times with key in "on" position) and now the car is back in limp mode. On the dash instead of all the PRND234 being lit at once as was happening previously in "limp" mode, now the PRN and 2 lights work, but when I'm in Drive, 4, and 3 there is no light at all. I can fake the tranny into working properly if I shift down to 2 or 3 then up to D, but cannot start out in D without the "limp mode" scenario.

Does this make sense to anyone out there? When the tranny is working properly all is very smooth and quiet, but getting it into proper shifting condition is a bit of a challenge. Can the tcm be easily reset via a vag-com? Anything else occur to anybody? I'm frustrated and thought I had things figured out till trying the manual reset.

I'm anxious to hear replies, thanks.