Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Battery Replacement$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:41 PM
bgh
1st Gear
Default Battery life and replacement cost

Tell me about it....I purchased my 2006 CPO A6 in late 2008 (3 years old). A bunch of mechanical problems eventually fixed by the dealer under warranty. However, about 7 months after purchase my battery died. This is NOT under the CPO warranty (very annoying), but at about 3.5 years old that is on the short end of normal battery life (4-5 years?). I paid $245 at the dealer to have it replaced. Then, just recently, I've noticed my battery level indicator is down to one bar after a day or two without driving. Couldn't be the battery, right? Its only a 1.5 years old. Must be something else putting a drain on the battery. So I take it to my local dealer (not the one where I purchased the car). They charged me $60 to do a diagnostic which would be refundable on any repair work needed (which I still don't understand, as it is under CPO warranty). After 20 minutes of doing a load test, I'm told I need a new battery. Don't f'in believe it for a big, expensive battery. Worse, they tell me the cost is $410 to replace it. Bunch of crooks at this dealer. Guess they need to pay for the big, fancy showroom they just built. So I call the other dealer who says that Audi replacement parts warranty is only 12 months, including batteries. The tech did agree 1.5 years seems like a very short life. Called Sears. $160 installed, 8 year warranty. Still trying to decide how much to push this back to Audi for a poor battery or just move on to Sears. I don't know why ANYONE would EVER buy a battery from AUDI. After only owning Audi's all my life (I'm on my 4th one), its little stuff like this that makes me wonder why I keep coming back.....

Old 01-14-2011, 05:56 PM
4th Gear

What you need checked is your Charging and Holding voltages.. I would bet that one or the either are low/high. If low, the battery's sulfating.. if too high, the waters boiling out.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

Audi ? why anyone would pay anyone to put a battery in is beyoind me... never mind going to a stealership to have it done.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 PM
4th Gear

Because the batt in Audi's are in wierd places - like under the rear seat...

But ya, I do it myself..

Old 01-31-2011, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

After researching which battery to install in my '06 Avant I came up with a Carquest 49AGM-70, which is a rebaged Deka 9AGM49. The last time I had the car in for service (and a smell of burning wires in my steering wheel) they said that there were 27 stored codes for a steering angle sensor. One of the causes for this code is a dead battery, and when I had the car aligned a screen came up saying that the battery needed to be charged. The battery is over 5yrs old but has never shown any signs of being undercharged. Now I want to change the battery (myself) just in case it's close to its demise but I have a few questions. Is there anything I need to do like hooking up a battery in the lighter socket to save my settings or registering the battery (I read this in a BMW forum) so that the car knows that it's an AGM battery...??? Are there any DIY articles on this subject?

Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM
1st Gear
Default 2006 A6 Battery

I had warning signs that the original 5-year old Varta battery in my 2006 Audi A6 Quattro 3.2L was failing and needed replacement. For example, the car would warn "battery low" after I had the radio on for only about 10 minutes with the ignition off. Otherwise, the car had no symptoms, and starter cranking speed seemed good. Voltage at the battery was about 13.8 volts with the engine idling, which I though was a little on the low side of normal, but should be enough. When the battery finally died, it was a really hot day, and it happened very suddenly. It started fine in the morning, but at noon time the starter would only chatter, and the battery level (on the MMI) showed 10%. It jump-started with no problem. I put the battery on my own charger and the voltage would just not go higher than about 13.0 volts, so I knew it was toast. I wanted a new battery, and didn't want to hassle with some general purpose battery that didn't fit like the original. I decided on the Duralast Platinum, H8-AGM (from AutoZone), $165 after old battery return, 3-year free replacement warranty - expensive, but cheaper than the dealer, and it is a high-tech battery. I was amazed that this battery is a completely exact copy of my original Varta battery: size, shape, mounting points, venting tube, everything. I'm glad that I kept the small plastic cover that was on the positive battery terminal because I used it on the new battery (which didn't come with that cover). My research had indicated that Johnson Controls makes the Duralast and the Varta, so that's why the match was so exact. After installing the new battery, it took about an hour of driving for the battery level on the MMI to go from about 40% to 100%. After two weeks, everything is good. The only nuisance was that after the jump start the airbag warning light came on and stayed on - it seems that this is a common problem. After a few days of seeing that light, I took it to the dealer who said the airbag system was ok, and just needed to be reset.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM
1st Gear

I feel dumb for asking but, whats the radio code and how do i find mine? becasue my audi a6 2.7 biturbo's battery is dead. its been sitting because i just got my liscens and also i have no idea what kind of battery to get. help someone? I only know stuff about american cars

Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 AM
1st Gear
Default If it's not in the stack of owner manuals that came

Originally Posted by kat82195
I feel dumb for asking but, whats the radio code and how do i find mine? becasue my audi a6 2.7 biturbo's battery is dead. its been sitting because i just got my liscens and also i have no idea what kind of battery to get. help someone? I only know stuff about american cars
If it's not in the stack of owner manuals that came with the car, you not going to like this answer because the only place that you can get a radio code is at the dealer.