Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 - Money pit - Never again

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

Halik,
Easier said than done sometimes.
We have multiple cars for my wife and self.
Her Audi A-6 like all our cars is pampered. Last week check engine light came on and so far I have spent $3500.00 and the dealer is not sure if the problem is fixed. It has to be driven a few days to recycle the computer.
I restored every nut and bolt on my Corvette, and every aprt on the car is now new. It is a 68, so I like to think I can handle a wrench a little but when it comes to computers in cars and planned obsolesence, I don't think the average guy has a chance.
Perhaps you are an Audi factory trained technician, but this is our third and probably last Audi. For the $61K they want for a new A-6, I will get her an MB.
My Mercedes costs less to maintain than her Audi
Kurt

Old 11-08-2009, 03:55 PM
3rd Gear

Congrats on proving the dealer can be expensive.

If you don't want an Audi, then sell it and move on. I find threads like this annoying. It brings out all the whiners.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 AM
1st Gear

"Last week check engine light came on and so far I have spent $3500.00 and the dealer is not sure if the problem is fixed. It has to be driven a few days to recycle the computer."

That seems like a silly way to handle a problem. Throw money at it. Maybe you have to find an indy shop to work on it.

Years ago my f-in-l asked me for help with a Chevy he had. "Chuggle", I don't know if you are familiar with that term.

Innyhoo, called me to say the Chevy dealer wanted 900 to replace tranny, and if that didn't work, something else for 450. If that don't WORK???? You're charging me big bucks to replace parts *****-nilly? If it doesn't work, take it off and replace the old good part.

Innhoo, I told him to go to the Aamco across from work. Tranny spec, f'r pete's sake. HE said the car needed a tune up. Did that and all was well.

Easy to throw money down the chute when you don't know what the hell is wrong with your car. Question why they are doing this or that and demand that if it doesn't work, they take off the part and replace the original at no charge. Don't pay for what doesn't work.

If you have to, take it to the small claims court and argue your case. Chances are the Magistrate has undergone the same treatment and will be sympathetic. That even with an American made car. ANY dealership will screw you as hard as they can.

Cheers,

George

Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
1st Gear

Some Audis are good. Especially the current models. It is any consolation to know that the C6 is about average in reliability?

But when the C5s are bad, it seems they can be really bad.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by FixOrRepairDaily
As you can see by my name FixOrRepairDaily,
BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!
You learned a hard lesson..never buy ANY car without a full history and I don't mean just a carfax but a real service history..do you think the problems you have would only apply to an abused Audi...not hardly!
As you can read..many owner's here did their homework and will get repayed by having one of the best cars in the world which is also reliable becuse it was well cared for and had the paperwork to prove it.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 PM
2nd Gear

Owned SAABS, VW and Audi. Also own BMW motorcycles. I work for Mercedes Benz.

Ive also driven many an american car.

What Ive learned, it may be expensive to maintain an expensive car, but the driving experience is well worth it.

BTW, bought my 01 at 78k, was 17 years old, has 102k now. Few repairs, may mods, wallets alot lighter, but Im damn happy.

Last edited by 2001A6; 11-18-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kbunting
Halik,
Easier said than done sometimes.
We have multiple cars for my wife and self.
Her Audi A-6 like all our cars is pampered. Last week check engine light came on and so far I have spent $3500.00 and the dealer is not sure if the problem is fixed. It has to be driven a few days to recycle the computer.
I restored every nut and bolt on my Corvette, and every aprt on the car is now new. It is a 68, so I like to think I can handle a wrench a little but when it comes to computers in cars and planned obsolesence, I don't think the average guy has a chance.
Perhaps you are an Audi factory trained technician, but this is our third and probably last Audi. For the $61K they want for a new A-6, I will get her an MB.
My Mercedes costs less to maintain than her Audi
Kurt
Well you're doing it wrong to begin with. If you cannot DIY, you should not be buying used/high mile luxury cars. You will end up paying $150/hr for inane fixes here and there and you're not saving yourself any money.

I'm not an audi tech by any means, but I do enjoy working on german cars. So far my A6 have cost maybe 500 bucks in parts over the 2-3 years I've owned it, which is great for a car with 130K