Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 Questions on reliability and Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:00 AM
Default A6 Questions on reliability and Transmission

I have owned a 2000 A6 2.7T since new. It has 75k miles. Before the 50k warranty was up it had a turbo ($7k), water pump, and brakes replaced. Right after the warranty expired, it was leaking oil- the dealer wanted $7k to replace the oil pan sealant (there is no gasket) and cam shaft cover plugs. I got an independant service shop to do it for $2k but they had to do it twice. They said a lot of the Audi's have this problem. Then the brake light came on (even though the brakes worked fine) and they replaced the MC and brake computer unit for $1,500. The check engine light came on (it drove fine) and they found two codes for o2 sensors and 1 for the tanny.

They swapped out to verify and then replaced two Oxy sensors $1,200, and the light stayed on and they troubleshot it down to the transmission tourque converter code. They have tried all the wiring and have to pull the tranny to get access to the electronics on the tranny. It will most likely be the electronics that drive the signal to the main computer $1,500+ or the actual transmission itself yes $9,000! Of course the car drives fine. I cant' sell it wiht that dam's light on especially since you can't pass a smog check with the check engine light on for any reason. And any car sold must pass SMOG.

I love to drive the car. I love the tubo rush. But are these problems typical?

Does anyone know of other possible solutions to this problem with the tranny torque converter code?

I am getting tired of these sensors that make the check engine light come on while the car drives fine. Anyway to turn it off?

Old 02-20-2005, 05:30 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A6 Questions on reliability and Transmission

Regarding the CEL, I have the same problem. I wnt to the dealership yesterday, paid $400 to change the valves (they said they were positive that's the problem, so I think I can get them to fix it without additional cost) and 3 hours later, the CEL came back on. I suggest you go to Auto Zone and have them pull the code for you. Based on the way you described it, I would think we have the same problem. My CEL comes on, and it goes out the following day or after 2-3 longer beakes between driving. Post the error code that Auto Zone pulls for you, I suspect it to be P-1128. When does it happen? How long between going off and on?

Old 02-20-2005, 06:00 AM

Same problem here...lets find how to solve this

Old 02-21-2005, 04:07 AM
1st Gear

Well, I'm complaining tommorow, they charged me $400 for a problem they didn't fix. I kept looking up the P1128 code on various sites, withour success. In my case, the CEL has come on 4 times so far ( and every time it happened on Friday!!!) It goes off the following day or after 2 or 3 longer breaks between driving. I suspect it's either the MAF sensor or the 02 sensors. I can't trust the Audi service anymore, now I'm not sure that they know/want to go through the standard diagnose procedure for this problem... I'll look up audiworld.com again and see if I can get any answers...

Old 02-22-2005, 09:01 AM
1st Gear

Can you find someone who can put a VAG unit on the vehicle for you? This would give you a better idea of the faults?