Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADDING AUTO TRANS FLUID

Old 11-02-2006, 06:53 PM
1st Gear
Default ADDING AUTO TRANS FLUID

IF IM ADDING AUTO TRANS FLUID FOR A TIPTRONIC, DO I NEED TO USE A SPECIFIC TYPE?

Old 11-02-2006, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: ADDING AUTO TRANS FLUID

Yes...consult your owners manual. Off the shelf ATF does not do the trick. AUDI has minerals in its ATF that help the tranny shift smoother or something like that. Make sure you use what the recommend. I believe it also has something to do with year/make/model but not 100% on that. Call your dealer.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

MUCH THANKS

Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 AM
3rd Gear

You also may want to look into the procedure for adding it. Its quite different than many vehicles. Theres no dipstick or such,

Old 11-03-2006, 01:58 AM
2nd Gear

Its a selaed transmission. There is no dipstick or fill cap. AUDI said it is a lifetime tranny needing no service. It must be miracle metal because every car I've owned, from domestic to foreign need their fluid changed. Heat, wear of the gears, bands and breakdown of the fluid result in a black, brackish fluid with metal shavings ever so fine. Ever wonder why the tranny pan has a magnet sealed in the bottom? Well, to catch metal shavings. This is old technology but wear happens, just like s*** happens [8D] and nothing lasts forever. My independent mechanic told me to change the fluid at 70k regardless. This guy has been in business for 25 years working exclusively AUDI, VW, and Porsche. I take his word on everything. On the flip side, I also happen to be friends with a master mechanic at my dealer in Seattle. This guy has been working on AUDI, VW, and porsche for 13 years. He told me that I would be replacing my tranny before 80k guaranteed. This conversation was off the lot and no BS if ya get what I mean. He told me he has replaced a lot of tranny's in the C5 lineup, all models. The first to go south is reverse and is preceded by shudder and slow shifting/hard shifting. He says the reason AUDI call it a lifetime warranty is that they are betting on replacing it anyways. So, with this logic, the fluid/filter change would be never have to take place and is futile due to the eventual failure. It might prolong the life but AUDI recognizes the flaw and that is how they justify it. Its cheaper for the dealer to replace under warranty than having a mass recall. Simple car business revolves around the bottom line = $$$. What boggles my mind is why they continued to manufacture these tranny's even after they recognized a problem. Anyways, I've had some problems and I can never get the problem replicated when I take it in. Oh well, bad timing I guess...LOL Screw it..If i breaks it breaks.