Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a Phatbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Adding a Phatbox

I owned an '88 Audi 80 about 8 years ago when I was in college and it was the best car I had ever owned...until last week when I finally got back into an Audi. I just bought an '01 A6 2.8 quattro.

So one of the first things I would like to do is install a Phatbox in the car, however the car did not have the cd changer option installed. I don't see a cable in the rear near the jack for a cd changer hookup, only a bracket. First question is...should it be there and I'm just missing it?

If it shouldn't be there, what is the best way to install the Phatbox? Should I get a cable and run it back to the factory default location for the CD Changer, or should I mount it up in the glove box or something?

I've found a Phatbox that has the proper cable for the CD Changer replacement in an Audi, if that matters. It seems the ones for the VW are all over ebay, but not the Audi versions.

If I should install the Phatbox in the factory location, where should the wire harness for the CD Changer run? over or under the doors in the cabin?

Old 05-15-2007, 12:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Adding a Phatbox

Since you have an '01, the cable should definitely be there. They are usually wrapped up in foam and can be hidden away. Take another look.

I love my Phatbox!!

Old 05-15-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your direction. I pulled the jack out and found the wire harness up high wrapped in foam.

Is there anything else I should be aware of as I purchase this phatbox?

I had a head unit in my last car that played MP3 cd's, and I had all my favorites on one CD. I was kind of bummin' to have to go back to switching CD's manally until I found this phatbox option.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

If you get the phatbox with the Audi cable, it's just plug n play. I installed mine in the stock CD changer location using velcro. I did remove the changer bracket so I could slightly flatten out a couple of dimples in the bracket that keep the Phatbox from just sliding in.

I think there is a tech article on AudiWorld with lots of details.

Enjoy!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:48 PM
3rd Gear

Sorry to hijack this post, but I am having a hard time finding info on my question. I just ordered a Phatbox from a Audi dealer in MA since there were none in MN. I don't understand how the voice prompts work. Do I talk to the phatbox, or does it just announce things to me? I downloaded the manual but I feel it is very vague.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 05-15-2007, 07:52 PM
1st Gear

It just announces the playlist, artist album or genre, depending on where you are. This is in lieu of having a display to show you where you are.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jeffla

I just ordered a Phatbox from a Audi dealer in MA
I guess I got the impression from reading other posts that these weren't available from the dealers anymore, so I didn't bother calling any. How much did you pay for the complete package from the dealer?

As a secondary question, is there anything special about the $50 adaptor cable? I printed a pin-out of the cable off of audiworld.com and I can pick up the connectors and wire for a couple of bucks at a local electronics hobby shop and put it together if it's there isn't anything special about it.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:23 PM
3rd Gear

I paid 190.00 with shipping everything included including the cable. While at my local dealer today I saw they had one in the display case for 175.00, but they were out of them, so they did a nationwide search and told me this place in MA had one left.

Jeff

edit: I won't receive it until Monday so I am unsure about if there is anything special about the cable. My assumption would be no.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

You shouldn't need any adapter cables if you buy a Phatbox set-up for Audi. It's just plug and play. I bought mine from an Audi dealer in Connecticut via E-Bay. I think it was ~$160 shipped.