Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment question.. Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 06:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Alignment question.. Help

So i just bought 4 new tires middle of winter last year they roughly have about 10000k on them. About 3 months ago i had my lower control arm replaced and audi did a 4 wheel alignment and on the inspection sheet they said all 4 tires were in perfect conditon. now today i bring my car to town fair tire where i bought the tires to have a rotation done and the inside of all 4 tires are worn down to the point of no return i can almost cut myself on te edge it has. is it possible that evrything came unaligned or did they point all my tires in to get the car to go striaght. now i dont think they would of done that on purpose but a little insight miight help my out cause not im out 900 bucks after 1 year. and im trying to get audi to replace them

Old 08-27-2009, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear

In my experience, Audis are a bitch to shoe and align. I put Cooper 18s on two summers ago and had it aligned. After a 2000 road trip, I came in for a rotation and found the outside edges badly worn. Tire place blamed alignment, so I brought it back to the alignment place who checked, and everything was in spec. I replaced the Coopers with Continentals and I am not seeing the same wear pattern. During this interval I ran mostly the oem Pirelli's and got 49,930 out of them to the wear bars (rated for 40k). They wore evenly. When I had new Pirellis mounted I had the car aligned, and the alignment was out of spec (but not badly) on a few positions. I had them align everything to the middle of the spec, not just bringing the out-of-spec to spec. By the way, I now have 144k on the car and all original suspension.

Doesn't really answer your question, other than observing some brands of tires wear well with quattro and others do not. I think softer tires wear faster. And, yes, in a year your alignment can get messed up by pot-holes and curbs, or even just suspension wear.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 PM
2nd Gear

Just because some guy bought an alignment rack doesn't mean he read the manual. That goes especially for Audi. If you can do great alignments you would be working for yourself. You need to ask around and find the best alignment place around and go there.

I found a guy who does a nice job on my alignment road force balances the tires and it's straight.(pissed and moaned about everything being frozen so you know he really adjusted it) He owns the shop and does the job himself - has cars waiting by appointment just for alignments. You need a guy like that. ask around.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:20 AM
1st Gear

Audi was the one who did my alignment and u agree potholes and bumps can mess up an alignment but what are the odds of all 4 tires getting worn evenly on the inside edge almost all the way down to the belt in 8k miles, tires are less then a year old

Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear

That's crazy they totally screwed up your alignment.

When I lived in NY I could only think of one place to get it aligned correctly out of thousands of shops (Big Bear is the shops name. They did everyones) Here in FL I tried Firestone with my truck I swear it came back worse than when it went in 3 Times. I picked up a phone book. called a local shop that did repairs but not alignments and asked him who was the best. Sure as **** He knew where to send me. That is what you should do. 1 year out of 4 tires I would be so pissed.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

its maintainence is very expensive. people are loosing their interest.