Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another dreaded overheating problem...2.8 lots of searching already performed and...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Default Another dreaded overheating problem...2.8 lots of searching already performed and...

Everything I've found is contradictory.

So here is the situation.

-Overheating both in the city and on the highway going 60mph.

-New water pump two months ago and hot coolant is definitely circulating.

-Thermostat is working. All hoses heat up.

-belt driven fan works perfectly as the engine heats up

-electric fan turns on at very low speed when I turn the A/C on.

-electric fan never works otherwise. Doesn't turn on at all no matter what temperature unless the A/C is on.

-Bled the system just to be sure but this has two months since I flushed and changed the coolant so it seems unlikely that a bubble would show up now.

That all said, I'm leaning toward the electric fan being the problem and I've found several search results that seem to support my theory but even those aren't definitive. I have already ordered a new fan switch express mail and will be driving the bike (in the rain) until then. I sure would appreciate some more insight though. Do these engines really turn on that fan at highway speeds?

I am at 104,000 miles. Oil temp is perfect. Well below the 250 mark.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:06 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Another dreaded overheating problem...2.8 lots of searching already performed and...

Have you replaced the Coolant temp sensor?

It could likely be the culprit at said mileage... even if it isn't, it is best to get it out of the way now since sooner or later it may strand you. [X(]

Old 06-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Default RE: Another dreaded overheating problem...2.8 lots of searching already performed and...

How would a coolant temp sensor strand me? Symptoms

Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 AM

Now that I read up a little on that coolant temp sensor I see that when it goes bad the engine will think it is always cold and therefore run rich. But doesn't that sensor also control the dash guage? Does that sensor also fail in that it thinks the engine is too hot?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:54 AM

[align=right]When I started it this morning after it had been sitting for 10 hours I thought to check the climate control temperature reading. On the climate control code number 26, I could see what temperate the computer was getting from the temperature sensor. This morning it said it was 10*c. then after less than 5 minutes of running, it said the temperature was 126*c (255 or so degrees F). As I drove into work I watched it and it went down to 113*c.

At work I checked everything and the engine doesn't appear to be 230*f. Coolant isn't boiling, no overflow, block and hoses are only warm to the touch. Engine running very very well. No loss in power and no pinging.

Anyway. Its parked for now. Should have the new aux fan switch and coolant temp sensor in a couple days and the weather is supposed to be pretty good for bike riding the rest of the week.[/align]

Old 06-10-2008, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

i have a simalar problem in my 2.7 it goes over one notch when im driving at high speeds like 60+ but never gets to the H but after a while of driving a bit slower it goes back down and i also see that my oil temp goes up also but that too never gets to hot

Old 06-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Well the cts was part of the problem. It now runs correctly (computer doesn't think its boiling after sitting for 24 hours) but it is definetly overheating. Either thermostat (hopefully not) or clogged radiator. I've got the weekend cut out for me.