Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas on what would cause this noise on acceleration? (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Any ideas on what would cause this noise on acceleration? (video inside)

My c5 currently has that loud, air filled windup on acceleration

Exhaust Leak?
Exhaust Manifold leak?
Vacuum Leak?
PCV issue?
Throttle Body boot?
Secondary Air Injection pump stuck on?

Had the mechanic take a look @ the exhaust during an oil change, didn't see anything obvious outside of one exhaust drain hole being a little bigger than the other.

I only remember noticing it after doing my timing belt service, along with the CTS (where I removed the throttle body boot to gain access to the sensor). I don't know if working on the car made me more aware of an existing issue.. or if it only sounded like that after.

I know it's not much to go on, just hoping someone may have had the same problem and know to eliminate this noise.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM
3rd Gear

Maybe that your fan clutch failed? When the car is cold, start the car and get a roll of newspaper. When you stick that to your fan, it should stop the fan. If not, then your fan clutch is stuck.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
Maybe that your fan clutch failed? When the car is cold, start the car and get a roll of newspaper. When you stick that to your fan, it should stop the fan. If not, then your fan clutch is stuck.
Yep, tried that with a magazine and it pretty much just ate the magazine. It just about spun freely with the engine off as well. I guess I'll order a fan clutch tonight and hit you back with an update.

Much thanks, hxgaser.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 06-19-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the tips, hxgaser.

Every bit of advice you gave me there was on point.

I just finished removing and installing the newly purchased fan clutch and sure enough, the noise is gone.

On a side note though, I think I got so used to the loud wind up that the car now sounds like it has a 4cyl motor to me lol.

Bless bro

Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM
3rd Gear

Glad it worked out and you are very welcome.

Yes, I kinda like the noise from the fan clutch engaging. It makes the car sounds like a jet taking off. Also you are lucky that it failed stuck closed. If it failed the other way, then you would have had an overheating issue. It took me awhile figure that one out on my car.