B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

02 A4 weird loud noise? (video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:26 PM
1st Gear
Default 02 A4 weird loud noise? (video inside)

So i posted here after the fact but i still need some feed back because something tells me what i did was not so smart.

I have an 02 b6, its the worst car i have ever driven in my life, BUT something tells me not to let it go.. regardless I start my car beginning of the week whining/groaning sound coming from under the hood, sounded like some sort of fan that was just cold,, after about 15 minutes the noise went away no warning lights on dash nothing..

end of week is here and still have the noise except today its really bad, even when car is driven for about 30 minutes to an hour its still very loud, happens when I push on the gas and now when i turn the wheel.... So i got home let the car cool off. opened up the hood check the power steering fluid.... its BONE dry. literally i can see some plastic at the bottom of the tank.. not cool. ran to the store got some random power steering fluid.. put it in let the car run a half hour move the wheel a bit seems fine now no sounds nothing.. just its normal loud fluttering noise that it always makes..

so i guess i solved the problem but im not sure because not putting in audis brand of fluid will that mess my pump up? is the pump messed up? it seems fine now! i have no idea!

please help me i uploaded a video to you tube heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5AfVcuzjA

Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Hey man. I am new to Audi's but have alot of experience with fords and japanese cars. I just bought an 2005 Audi A4 a couple of weeks ago and have been getting caught up on maintenance for it. So, I was giving it a oil change and noticed the power steering a little low. I read in the manual and it said I needed a certain type of mineral oil specifically for Audi's. I called Autozone and Advance Auto and both of them told me they had something that I could use, but it wasn't an Audi brand. So I then called Napa who does sell Audi mineral oil specifically for the power steering pump, and they told me NOT to use anything else or mix them. I am not sure who is right, but I thought I would share.

I would say if it leaks out again, I would use the Audi mineral oil, but if it isn't leaking, I would use a turkey baster from walmart and pull out as much as you can, and use the Audi stuff. Then do it a few more times for a month to slowly flush out your system.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Certified

You probably can get away with using generic brand for a quick fix. But highly recommended you get it flushed out with the good stuff.

lol, i could have told without opening your hood your fluid was low. When the pump is dying it makes more of a whistling bearing type noise