Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A6 humming/buzzing noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A6 humming/buzzing noise

I have a 2000 Audi A6 with a 2.8 motor and it's making a weird humming/buzzing noise when accelerating. There is no noise when the car is running and standing still. It only does it when I'm accelerating and trying to pick up speed. Any ideas on what it could be? Please help.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:39 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

where does the noise seem to be coming from? is it an engine noise? is it a wheel noise? is it an exhaust noise? do you hear the noise if you are sitting still and revving the engine, or only when moving. maybe your car doesn't know the words so it is just humming.

best guess is tires. check your pressures. make sure they all match. check tread wear.

good luck

Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

If the noise you're speaking of sounds like a muffled buzz or metallic rattle and is only heard while acclerating or when the car is under load, you may have something loose on your exhaust system. Check for a loose exhaust band clamp or a loose or broken weld on any portion of the exhaust heat shield around the Catalytic converters, resonators, or mufflers.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
where does the noise seem to be coming from? is it an engine noise? is it a wheel noise? is it an exhaust noise? do you hear the noise if you are sitting still and revving the engine, or only when moving. maybe your car doesn't know the words so it is just humming.

best guess is tires. check your pressures. make sure they all match. check tread wear.

good luck
It looks like the noise is comming from the engine, but it's hard to tell. Most of the buzzing noise seems to be when I'm trying to accelarate. The weir parts is that once I reach a certain speed and I continue to drive at that speed the car doesn't make any noise.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Originally Posted by TwinTurboC5
If the noise you're speaking of sounds like a muffled buzz or metallic rattle and is only heard while acclerating or when the car is under load, you may have something loose on your exhaust system. Check for a loose exhaust band clamp or a loose or broken weld on any portion of the exhaust heat shield around the Catalytic converters, resonators, or mufflers.
have you investigated this? there is increased pressure in the exhaust system when the engine is working under load (during acceleration). The pressure is less once you get up to speed. it could explain what you describe.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
have you investigated this? there is increased pressure in the exhaust system when the engine is working under load (during acceleration). The pressure is less once you get up to speed. it could explain what you describe.
I looked at my exhaust today and it looks like my exhaust flex pipes have a few small holes in them and I think I'll have to replace those soon. Could that be my problem?