Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Audi A6 's rotten lemon cars , or its my luck??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:07 AM
4th Gear

and since 1990 when i got my permit
1990??!!

Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 AM
3rd Gear

Yes indeed....1990.
I know what you're thinking , but I didn't have (couldn't afford) a car until 23...different times, different place...

Old 08-02-2009, 02:29 AM
4th Gear

after all passion and precise and accurate visits to its warranty tunes and oil changes and all my baby care ive given,
You say that then say that you found 'torn CV boots' while jacking the car.. if you took that good of care and 'babied' it in maintenance, you should have found these before that got past 'cracked'.

-------

1. @ 69,500 - Timing Belt Job ( Water Pump, Tensioners, Thermostat, Etc.) - Normal

2. @ 69,500 - When lifting the car up in the shop for the timing job, I've found out
torned cv boots and Front Control Arms needed replacement ( loose boots
and joints), Front Shock Stuts also. - It happens, thats why you have to look once in a while...- Cam Seals and crankshaft seals were leaking
( Replaced also) - Same

A total of $1,100 in parts ( Job done Myself)

3. @ 75,000 - Leaking Valve Cover Gaskets ( $40 bucks), (Job done Myself) - Normal

4. @ 77,000 - Hydraulic Brake Line that goes to the brake caliper, leaking
( $5 bucks) ( Job done Myself) - Normal.. you really need to be looking and changing before it leaks
5 @ 78,000 - After a Month after the brake fluid leak, Ho Ho Ho !!
Power Steering Rack started leaking PS fluid. ( I've remember that
morning I've noticed it). I've droved filling fluid for a month until the rack
blew seals.
$600- paid for the rebuild
( replaced Myself, " I was about to self
charge me $600 for the job" what a pain
it was) - Ok, not so Normal, but it does happen

6 @ 81,000 - Alternator gone ( Normal behavior in any car) $200 the part.- Normal
Radiator clogged ( overheating) Cleaning and unclogging ( Done myself) What did you put in there??
7 @ 84,000 - Old Serpetine Belt was old. ( This is normal) Replaced ( $20) - WHAT?!! You didnt replace this with the TB??!! Are you sure your a Mechanic? You really didnt 'baby' this car, did you?
8 @ 87,000 - AC compressor leaked r-134 jajaja !! , replaced and refilled. ( $300 )
- Happens. Suprised it didnt leak alittle earlier
9 @ 91,000 - AND let the coolant lines leak the fruit punch juice!!!
- Started leaking engine right side ( Replaced all of them )
- Back Heater Hoses also started to leak, I've just bypass those,
not using the heater. over $250 in hoses. some were a heck of a
job to change. - Ok, this is getting rediculous. You NEED TO LOOK AT YOPUR CAR ONCE IN AWHILE!! Hoses should have been replaced with the serpentine belt. They are rubber too ya know...

- Vapor Hoses seems to be made of cheap plastic, all broken in
pieces just for removing them, replaced with heater hoses. - Ya, I bitched about this too. Hoses would have been better.
10 @ 92,000 - Engine Mounts and Transmission Mounts ( Replaced Myself ) $100 parts - Normal... maybe should have gotten more miles, but then they are soft mounts.

11 @ 92,000 - AC EVAPORATOR mayor leak, Screw the A/C im not injecting more money
into the car + plus removing the dash !NO WAY!. Im pissed at this point. - You prolly didnt fix it right before..

13 @ 94,000 - ( Actual Date August 25 2008 ) Just replaced the Power Steering Pump
myself $200, Also I've Noticed that I had another Oil Leak, this time from
the pan gasket - PS Pump WAS a rebuild after all. Did you do that your self too? Pan gasket is Normal.

14 @ 94,000 - ** AT Tranny started to give me synthoms like celenoids or worse
started going bad, ( changing from 1st to 2nd or viceversa in low
rev makes the car shake a bit sometimes)** - Change the damn fluid, mechanic... Remember that 'baby it' part?

-------

You reallly want us to believe that a 10 year old car is not gonna have problems, especially when it seems you do NOT actually look after it? Least not till it breaks...

Last edited by Midniteoyl; 08-02-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM

Almost all of the newer luxury cars have complicated systems which are expensive to maintain. So, it doesn't matter if it is an Audi, a Ford or a Honda. What matters is whether the owner knows when the service department is just replacing expensive parts, rather than repairing the car. At that point the owner of an Audi will use his vag-com and Audi shop manual to verify the suggested repair.
So, if the starter motor intermitently fails, why would a dealer want to replace the fuel pump? A typical service department may run up a big list of unrelated repairs hoping to make more money. Some of these suggested repairs may or may not be required.
Now, if the owner wants to save money they may go to an independent service department, which may or may not do proper repairs. If the repairs are shoddy, then the car may be quickly sold. The new owner will then complain that he has a ten year old lemon. The used car will run up a lot of costly repairs, since it was improperly maintained and repaired.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:04 AM

Using diagnostic software/trouble codes takes alot of guessing out of trouble shooting
engine and transmission issues instead of the old days where the mechanic just started replacing parts..that's an advantage to owning a newer car...problem is, unlike chev,ford,toy, honda ,subaru..most reputable shops have these modules for testing these cars but not for the for Audi's,BMW,MB , when odd trouble strikes your Audi you'll then need to take it to a good Audi shop who has a factory trained tech who actually knows how to read the diagnosis...get a printout.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Service department tend to rely too much on computer codes, which may or may not be directly related to the real problem caused by shoddy repairs. Also, a poorly maintained car may have so many error codes that it may not be possible to find the defect without more information, such as the car's history.
The car may have bad wiring, instead of bad sensors. If the mechanic had the service history he might suggest testing the wiring between the sensors and the ECM or TCM. However, the owner may panic and sell the car to avoid costly repairs, which may or may not be required.
So, the less you know, the more you will suffer!