Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burping my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Burping my engine.

I have a 1997 audi a6 2.8 12v.

I was having some overheating issues and took my car into the dealer. They are telling me I need to replace my Coolant temp sensor on my radiator (I replaced it 1 week before I took it into them), they tested it and its bad. Also the nipple on my coolant reservoir is broken so its not keeping pressure in.

Now I know how to replace the CTS because ive already done it and the coolant reservoir is easy too ( two hoses and a sensor ). But the dealer is telling me that they can burp all of the air out of the engine with a special pump and I have no idea how to do that nor do I have the pump. Does anyone know where to buy a pump like this?

Is it really important to burp out all of the air before I drive the car? or will it just do it on its own after driving the car for a while and opening the reservoir cap. Or is there a valve somewhere on the engine that I can press to get all the air out?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear

No pump needed. Just hold the engine to your shoulder and pat its back.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

If you cannot hold the engine on your shoulder the other alternative is to run the engine in your driveway with the radiator cap OFF until it warms and the coolant starts to circulate. Turn on the heat full blast to open the valve to the heater core and just let the engine run for about 10 minutes after you feel nice warm air coming from the heater and you see coolant moving in the expansion tank. Rev the engine a couple of times once it is warm to speed up the coolant flow. This should get the water moving in the engine and throughout the entire cooling system including the heater core. If you have air it will bubble out in the expansion tank. If you see the level of the coolant drop as the air comes out just add more to keep it at the full mark.

No need to get the dealer to do it. This is another one of those gimmicky machines they buy because it raises their profit margin.