Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 HVAC unit removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not too much of a stickler to "genuine" stuff, so I would say:
as long as as those coolant outlets don't prevent you from putting back together the box's two halves, you should be fine. You'll know what I'm talking about when you'll try it. They look sort of long in that photo.
In any event, make sure you use foam strip/weatherstripping over the outer edges - it needs to stay snug against the box walls, otherwise it would be rocking in there and more than likely starting to flatten the fins from banging the walls.
-------------
Gaser, I spent my whole "income tax return allowance" on it this time around...so hopefully she'll appreciate that effort
I'll update that thread soon.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

I had fun doing this job myself, didn't want to pay for the expensive labour and parts so it took 2 hours to take everything apart (thanks to this forum) and about 8 hours to put everything back carefully. I took some pics of the interior myself to add to the thread because i had trouble finding some screws in the centre console but this thread helped enormously! Thanks for posting, i am very appreciative!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:30 PM
1st Gear
Default 1997 A6 Avand heater core replacement a success!

Just did the job, took 2 hours to take apart the inside, outside and "black box". To put back together, about 6-8 hours, making sure everything was working and fitting nicely. Thanks for the pics, they helped a lot and i also took some...

My black box was damaged previously and repaired quickly so i repaired it with epoxy and twist ties. I drilled holes and put twist ties to hold the broken pieces together and covered everything in epoxy and embedded some nylon into the epoxy for strength.

What it cost (other than a days time):

Heater core: 45$
Blower motor: 85$
Vacume valve: 45$

I bought the exact heater core as in the pics, the blower motor was making squeaking noises when i hit bumps, so as long as everything was apart... I took the advice and changed the vacume valve, even though the old one was working, but was crusted up a little. I also replaced the worn-looking weather stripping / foam as well.

I took additional photos of the centre console because i had trouble finding some of the screws...

Attached Thumbnails C4 HVAC unit removal-a6heater38.jpg  
Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM
1st Gear
Smile

The screws are hidden under the removable little carpets... One little screw is hidden by the phone speaker. 4 8mm screws are hidden under the shifter wood pannel. 2 screws where the rear 12volt lighter socket is.

I hope this helps others attempting the job.

Attached Thumbnails C4 HVAC unit removal-a6heater40.jpg   C4 HVAC unit removal-a6heater45.jpg   C4 HVAC unit removal-a6heater47.jpg   C4 HVAC unit removal-a6heater35.jpg   C4 HVAC unit removal-a6heater48.jpg  

Last edited by quattro4ks; 06-08-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-09-2011, 02:46 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by quattro4ks
I had fun doing this job myself, didn't want to pay for the expensive labour and parts so it took 2 hours to take everything apart (thanks to this forum) and about 8 hours to put everything back carefully. I took some pics of the interior myself to add to the thread because i had trouble finding some screws in the centre console but this thread helped enormously! Thanks for posting, i am very appreciative!
Hey, you're very welcome!
At least one person benefited from my incomplete and convoluted -at times explanations, so that makes it well-worth putting it together. It's a good day...and after all, that what the forum's for.
I'm glad you found your way around it. Nice work!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 PM
1st Gear

Although the 97 A6 is my summer car its great to have heat. Now its ready for winter when my winter 89 100q dies. Another 5 months until drifting season!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

Great write up. I did mine a few months ago. It actually wasn't that hard. I also have no idea what that guy was talking about in the video.

For some reason I hadn't found your thread until now when I searched for one of the part numbers.

I actually had to replace mine... TWICE. First I replaced it with a nice copper core, but SOMEHOW it developed a crack where the pipes connect to the body itself. Found that out the hard way. So a couple weeks later, I had to do it again. Unfortunately I had sealed it REALLY WELL against the firewall, so that was a pain. Bought the same one you have, and mine has a 5 year warrantee.

The first time I replaced it the core had literally exploded. Came out in two pieces.

Anyway, like I said, great writeup. I've got a few comments.

You don't need to take out the rear heating ducts, they can stay in place. You also don't need to take out the panel BELOW the center heating vents. You can get to those bolts without taking it out.

Last edited by corrado33; 02-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 PM
1st Gear
Default 1997 A6 Avant heater core replacement

Great write up and comments! Replacing mine know; heater core outlet pipe cracked and was "spraying" coolant all over the engine compartment. Awaiting parts (changing out blower motor and valves) cuz the car is 15 years old! If it weren't for your pictures, I probably would have followed that guys video and removed the WHOLE dash! Poor guy, will probably kick himself or worse if he ever sees this post!

Thanks again!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 PM
1st Gear
Default HVAC Box

how do you open up the HVAC box to get the heater core out? i believe i have all of the screws, and clips out. have also taked out the blower motor, works, but i am not sure if its worth replacing.

Last edited by jtab; 01-04-2013 at 10:48 PM.