Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car won't start -- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear
Default car won't start -- HELP

OK guys..Here's one for ya. My car has been running fine. I park it in my garage and it has been sitting for a week now with no drive time. I go to start it this morning and it starts and dies, starts and dies. Over and over I try, and it only runs for like 3 seconds and dies. What gives?

Old 05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: car won't start -- HELP

By any chance, did you park it next to a FORD?

Seriously, it could be so many things. Did you notice anything unusual the first time you cycled it? Any strange noises or liquids underneath? Did you buy gas at a different station? It sounds like something with 1-fuel or 2-air based on the fact that it turns over andfires up, even runs a little.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Site Moderator

Gotta post the fault codes, if you don't have immobilizer which i think you don't, it can beanythingfrom a clogged fuel filter to a faulty crank sensor.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

I figuredout the problem.The 2001 4.2's all have the immobilizer function and I was trying to start the car with my spare FOB. Of course, they are identical but are worn differently. I noticed later that I was using the spare instead of the primary FOB. The spare is not coded to the car andI was getting the key inside of the car light(immobilizer). Switched keys and it starts right up. Der! Easy mistake and one to be aware of. Bad news is thatI tripped the CEL because of it. I will reset that and see if any other faultspop up that matter. I doubt it..Car ran like a top before this.I need to have the spare coded evidently. Better to find out sooner than later.