Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Support Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Default Center Support Bearing

I know there's another thread asking for advice on the Center Support Bearing, but mine has been diagnosed as "on it's last leg" and the shop (who seems to know VW/Audi's well) said they'd rebuilt them in the past, but can no longer locate a rebuild kit and now are recommending we buy a remanned drive shaft to fix the marble in a paint can in the paint mixer sound I get under mid to heavy acceleration in my 2001 A6 2.7T MT6.

My feeling is that $1385 for a drive shaft replacement (parts alone there) is a bit much when all I really need is the center support bearing. I've also seen the rebuild kits and center support bearing on Blauparts.com, but I can't find one on their site for an '01 2.7T manual

So my question here is whether or not a center support bearing for the A/T (automatic) A6 is going to work for my MT6 (manual) or if there's really a difference. Anyone know? Or should I just call Blauparts?

Thanks to all who reply....

Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 AM
2nd Gear

Audi lists differnt part numbers for manual versus automatic prop shafts, BUT the center support bearing bolts in the same place on all cars, so I would think it would be safe to assume that the center bearing is the same on all cars.

Most German prop shafts are non-rebuildable. In my old E36 M3, you had to buy a brand new prop shaft when a u-joint went bad, which they tended to do at 100,000 miles.

Good luck!

Bob

Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear

Call Blauparts. They will be able to tell you what is out there and what is not.
Good luck with your repair!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM
2nd Gear

There is my story about prop shafts and hanging bearings.

On my ’86 4kQ at around 200k km a noise appear from the middle of the car – the culprit was the hanging bearing.
As Audi sells the whole assembly (prop shaft) for $1600 cad at the time, with only one left in N.America , I decided to rebuild the shaft.
The procedure and parts were well described on the former “Quattro list” – a bearing from some BMW should be used. Parts cost - $50.
Found a shop repairing German cars only, the owner had the very German name of Kaltenbrunner.
He convinced me he knows what he is doing => then the Odyssey begun=> the shop bent my prop shaft, asked me to sign a waiver. Got the police involved to have my babe towed out.
Ordered used shaft - $140 in total and everything was ok since.
------------
I doubt that prop shafts are the same for manual and for automatic- just because the transmission dimensions are different.

Having an Audi is a challenging task, not as having a Subaru – my Outback has 161k and the total of repair costs so far is ~$800 (brakes and TB included)