Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Timing Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Changing Timing Question

The timing is off on my 2002 A6 2.7L.

It's throwing two codes, the P0341, camshaft position sensor A bank 1, and P0300, random misfire.

It just had the timing tensioner replaced on the passenger side, which is bank 1. And didn't have the problem before. So I'm assuming he skipped a tooth when he reinstalled the new one.

That being said, I haven't picked up a manual yet, but does anyone have any instructions they can shoot me? Scan a few pictures from their repair manual and email them to me? I don't mind shooting you a few bucks for the trouble.

I searched for a few hours and couldn't seem to find anything relevant enough.

Thanks guys

Old 04-11-2011, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear

Instructions to do what?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
1st Gear

Instructions on how to adjust the timing.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear

Can't. You have to take it apart and redo the timing belt. Bitch but that is the only way.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:26 AM
1st Gear

Even if the issue was due to incorrectly installing a tensioner?

I've heard it's possible to fix this by removing the valve covers and making an adjustment in there.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by IIl1Ill
Even if the issue was due to incorrectly installing a tensioner?

I've heard it's possible to fix this by removing the valve covers and making an adjustment in there.
Do NOT make friends with whoever told you that. At least don't let that person touch your car.

FYI, to do the tensioner properly you have to loosen the cam sprockets from the cams. Since the work is being done, you should have replaced the timing belt, waterpump, thermostat and the rollers. Also a good idea to replace the cam seals and the crank seal at the same time.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

I was more or less going by what I've been able to find out on the boards. I haven't been able to find out much information on those codes.

The couple posts I did find just ended with someone saying it was a timing issue or that they had simply fixed it.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and pay to have a shop diagnosis it. I feel comfortable doing the work myself, though this is my first Audi/Import I've messed with. I just want to know with at least some certainty what the issue is before I start throwing money at it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear

To do the job right, you will need a cam lock bar and a crank pin. In addition you need some sort of gear/bearing puller and an assortment of triple square bits as well. Also needed is the pin that came with the tensioner.

This can be done by anyone who follows directions with correct tools. There are many folks who did the job without the proper tools and run into the same issue again... BTW, shop labor estimate for this is 8 hours. Pros who do this day and night can probably do it in 4 to 6 hours. I would recommend budgeting a couple of days. Also buy some extra vacuum hose. You are bound to break a couple.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

Thanks again for all the help. I did a few more hours of research into what all I need to make this happen. I'll end up renting the tools from a local shop.

All of the seals, idlers, serp belt, timing belt, and all the other goodies only have 10k miles on them. So luckily there's no need to replace any of that.

Just the gaskets and such I need to redo the tensioner.

Should be a fun filled couple days.

Cheers.

Last edited by IIl1Ill; 04-13-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hxgaser
To do the job right, you will need a cam lock bar and a crank pin. In addition you need some sort of gear/bearing puller and an assortment of triple square bits as well. Also needed is the pin that came with the tensioner.

This can be done by anyone who follows directions with correct tools. There are many folks who did the job without the proper tools and run into the same issue again... BTW, shop labor estimate for this is 8 hours. Pros who do this day and night can probably do it in 4 to 6 hours. I would recommend budgeting a couple of days. Also buy some extra vacuum hose. You are bound to break a couple.

I just replaced the thermostat and tensioner. I'm not real mechanically inclined, but I can follow directions. Here's two decent places with info:

Timing Belt Installation | Audi A4 B5 2.8L V6 Timing Belt Replacement | Removal And Installation | | Happy Wrenching

I spent the better part of 8-9 hours taking the car apart (including two trips to the hardware store and having a bolt with a stripped head (one of them nasty hex ones). I got the pump in and thermostat in and got stuck on the tensioner and timing belt. I don't have the tool for the cam so I can loosen up the belt and whatnot. That's next on my list for tomorrow (as well as getting some extra bolts). So, I agree that pros are probably 4-6 hours with proper tools - and 8-12 for novices with improper tools.