Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Problems... Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:41 PM
1st Gear
Question Clutch Problems... Adjustment?

Well, my clutch is very near the end of its life. It served my dad for 90K+ miles, but since I am harder on the clutch than he is (partly to do with my style, partly to do with being new to manual), it is showing serious signs of wear after 5K+ of my driving. Long story short: it slips under moderate to hard acceleration. The amount of slippage varies with the application of the throttle. So I'm looking at a clutch plate whose material has been worn down to the last little bit.

I am definitely looking to get a new clutch, or at least replace the plate and flywheel, and maybe throwout bearings. But right now, I am away from my trusted shops and, as a college student, I don't have a lot of time to devote to my car. So I am wondering: as a stopgap measure, can the clutch be adjusted to minimize the problem? There is a VW dealership in town that I'm sure would be able to handle the work if there's anything can be done. But that's about as far as my trust extends, since I have no experience with--nor can I find any reviews of--the service department.

And as an aside, for someone like me who drives hard 25-75% of the time, any recommendations on replacement clutches/hardware?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Site Moderator

No adjustment on a hydraulic clutch. Drive it easy until you can get a new one. Im not familliar with the A6 clutch set up, but since it uses the 2.7T automatic trans, you should be able to use an RS4 clutch which should hold what you need and more. www.clutchmasters.com should also have what you need.
There is a member here on the site that can problem get you a clutch for cheap here.
PM mike2ptzero, he sells various audi performance parts.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 AM
3rd Gear

Original clutch went at 89k miles, about 10k after chipping the car. I figure the extra power, plus the original owner towed a light trailer during it's first 37k miles, and a night of hard acceleration did it in. There is no adjustment. Drive it easy to minimize slippage. See signature for my choice -- it was probably double the cost in parts but I figure it will last longer and tolerate an upgrade to K04s if I ever have to go that route. Whatever you order, order early so you avoid premium shipping -- this stuff is heavy. BTW, car is now at 151k miles with the second clutch and f/w.