Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compressor shuts off, car still hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Compressor shuts off, car still hot

a midget is watching over your shoulder

Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

Umm! go back to that shop and slap them in the face...thats basically what they did to you. You CANNOT pull a vacuum from only one side the of system. You must pull from the low and high side of the system. And why did they only recover said amount. Normally, if you know what you are doing, you pull it all out, then pressure test it (w/dye and/or nitrogen or an equivelant gas) if leak is prevelant find it-fix it, then you evacuate the system for a minimum of 20-25 minutes depending on the pump's efficiency. Then you weigh in your gas according to manufactuers specs. Run and check operation. It can be an labor intensive and expensive procedure, even for the most qualified.

I should inform you, I am a registered and licensed HVAC/R tech. My specaility WAS in commercial and industrial design implementation and service. Not automotive. But the same sytem principals still apply. I am now a just a law student and have been out of the business for some time now, but it's like riding a bike, you never forgot. So, take it as you wish!
Good Luck
E

Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 AM

Just picked up the car from the shop and it seems to be good to go after a recharge. They had it on the machine for couple of hours (I left and came back, so not sure). No leaks, I'm told. It's not as cold as I was hoping, but it runs steady and doesn't kick off. Still doesn't blow through the defroster vents, but I'll scrub the forum before asking any questions about that.

Thanks to all for the advice.

One last thing to NH_USA, I'm not in Mass at the moment but heading there in August. The garage I used cost me 75,000 Korean Won which is about $75, but that won't do you much good.

boots

Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 AM

Well, if anyone's is still reading this, the A/C went back to it's evil ways after it got hotter around 4pm. The condenser kept cycling off like before. Tried it again at 8pm and it worked better, though still not cold. Still acts like it's low on refridgerant, but I'm begiinning to think something else is amiss. The tempeture readings on the dash seem about 10C higher than the what the outside temp is and the fan decreases in speed long before I think it should. I have to put it on 18C to get it to keep running fast enough to cool down the car. At home I never have the A/C lower than 25, because I don't like it that cold so I don't think I'm being too demanding. I was in my friend's Toyota the other day and had to close my vents because I was freezing. Now I'm jealous.

Back to the garage tomorrow and the forums tonight.

boots

Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
3rd Gear

Bring Money!!!

I spent a week inKorea about a year ago to work on a project with KCC. It was a lot of fun except for ther food that moved

Old 07-15-2008, 10:56 PM

have you cosidered the compartment temp sensor? it may be malfunctioning