Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Cooling and other problems

Overheating with my '97 A6 Q. Fans not running. WILL run with the AC button pressed. THINK I have to check/replace the sensor/switch in the radiator.

Next, this is the car I drove for 2 weeks before the Cam Belt Tensioner split and jumped, replaced the engine, boneyard dropped a flexplate bolt into the space behind the flexplate, went back to have the tranny pulled, flex plate pulled, mangled bolt dropped out, back end parts from the bad engine put in, rear main crank seal housing, included, as well as new seal.

Melted down Cat, bad CV shafts, those paid for by the hokey dealer and the garage that inspected the car.

Out, not all that much ON these repairs, I paid for new belt, idler and tensioner to see IF I had bent valves.

Bought this car June 18, broke July 1, driven near 500 miles, now is Oct. 14, not much over 1 thou miles on it, in near 4 months.

Innyhoo, bought a HF Code Reader, couple days ago. My mech's Snap-On, 2500 buck machine, cannot read codes unless you pay 100 or more for the card for Euro cards.

This HF reader gives me P0734, "Gear 4 incorrect ratio", how in the hell do you get an "incorrect ratio"?

Also, P0301, "Cyl 1 misfire". I will say that when my mechs put the engine in, they showed me a spark module with crushed wire. What kind of patch on that wire, I don't know. maybe that is shorting through the tape that was used, or whatever.

Regardless, approach a hill with little pedal, accelerate some, bucking and jerking, push down some to force a shift, runs strongly with no judder, bucking and farting, like with part throttle.

Don't get me wrong. I have mentioned that I have driven Audis for over 20 years, jacked by some because I didn't know anything about 30V models, but think they are one of the best cars made.

My prior car, 90 100 is still going strong, odometer quit at 184,700 miles, 2 1/2 years ago, replacing my daughter's car in the garage after hitting a deer.

(My grandson went to pick up my 16 year old granddaughter, and hit a deer on the way home. My granddaughter wanted to punch her big brother out for wrecking HER car,.)

Car has been repaired, when she gets licensed, she still has a car. If not, old granddad would have had to get her one. Toyota Corolla, she likes, my '90 100 she considered WAY too big, although I puckered up and allowed her to drive me to her Soccer practices.

My car is probably "tetchy" no 2 ways about it, but, what the hell you gonna do.? Buy a Cavalier?

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

Last edited by gmatov; 10-15-2008 at 02:13 AM.