Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dashboard tempeture is reading incorrectly

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Dashboard tempeture is reading incorrectly

Whenever I check the weather on tv, I then compare it to the one in my A6's dashboard and it is always ten degrees higher on it. Is this a common problem? Can it be fixed?

Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Dashboard tempeture is reading incorrectly

Before you go through all that, give yourself a more accurate comparison. Bring a thermometer of some type (heck, even a kitchen thermometer will do) outside and put it near the car. If the car is in the sun, put the termometer in the sun. If it's in the shade, put the termometer in the shade. Give it a few minutes and them compare.

There are any number of reasons why you may be seeing a 10 degree discrepancy: heat coming off your driveway, car is in the sun, your house is in a microclimate that tends to be warmer than where the TV temp is taken (can be caused by lots of asphalt near you), etc., etc. You need to give yourself a valid comparison before you assume your car is innaccurate. It may very well be the case that your car will ONLY be accurate after it has been moving for a while. Just as a thermometer perched above a hot driveway will not give an accurate reading of what it's like to sit under a shady tree 50 feet away, you cannot expect your car to give you an "accurate" reading when it too is in conditions that will cause it to read hot.