Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your oil light go out before engine start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:57 PM
1st Gear
Default Does your oil light go out before engine start?

Does your oil light go out before engine start? [/align][hr]

Is it normal for the low oil pressure warning light to switch off after the instruments do their power up self-test, when the engine is not running?

Surely if the engine is not running, the low pressure light should stay on?

I only realised my one does this after deliberatly not starting the engine after the glowplug light had gone out (1.9 TDi).

I checked the pressure switch on the oil filter block (next to the oil temperature sender), and this seems ok (short to earth at high pressure, floating at low/zero pressure), but cannot get the warning light to come on (except during the self test).[/align][/align]Clever Audi, I thought, it knows the engine is not running, so no warning light. So I tried disconnecting the switch with the engine running. Still no warning light.

Anyone else seen this?

I imagine that a lot of people have not checked for this fault, as everything would appear normal, ie turn ignition key, lights do their self check, start engine, no warning lights so all must be ok....

(Hopefully someone knows a cure for this??)[/align]