Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door signal/dash indicator

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default door signal/dash indicator

Hey guys,

This is one of my first visits to this forum and I have already found many interesting stuff for my car, for that thanks a lot. Unfortunately I have a problem with my 2002 a6 4.2 which I wasn't able to find a solution here yet (maybe it's there and I can't find it?).

The issue:
The door indicator light in the dash won't come on for the driver side. Therefore I don't get the buzzing sound when I forget to turn off the lights and the car tries to lock me in if I don't start the car fast enough (since it "thinks" I've opened the car by mistake or so). All other doors are fine (indicator in Dash comes on)

What happened right before this started:
Right before this issue appeared I replaced the timing belt, which worked great but shortly after I notices the door signal issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Site Moderator

So you mean the door ajar light for the driver's door doesn't work? More than likely the electrical door latch is messed up. Do you have access to a VAG COM? Cause you can check the operation of the latch itself through data blocks.
I highly doubt it has anything to do with a timing belt repair...

Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

To clearify:
The door itself, the windows and the lock works fine on all 4 doors. Each single door shows up in the dash display when opened and closed, just the drivers side door doesn't. Which results in the car not turning on the interior lights when only the driver side is opened and it won't give the buzzing sound when I leave the headlights on (after turning off the car and leaving it).

@auditech79:
Yeah I doubt that too seems more like a coincident that it happened right afterwards, just wanted to mention it in case there is the slightest possibility I disconnected something that could have caused this problem.

Unfortunately I do not have a Vag Com but it's good to know I would be able to check the electronic of the door with that thing.

A friend of mine who actually helped me with the timing belt (since he is way better with cars then I am) thinks the only resonable thing would be the door lock itself (which he believes has the sensor integrated) and I just wanted to check with you guys and see if you share his oppinion.

I'm still hoping that it is something simpler and cheaper then that

Old 07-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Site Moderator

The door latch is what i would think it is too, it has all the electronics built into the latch, and they aren't cheap unfortunately.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear

I was afraid to get that answer ... but big thx for replying so quickly and for your input.