Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door switch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Door switch question

I'm a new audi owner (used 2005 A6 and 2003 allroad) and have not purchased the Bentley manuals yet. Can anyone confirm if the manuals explain how to replace the door switch that tells the computer/display if it's open?

Old 12-11-2008, 06:52 AM
1st Gear

I can't answer the question regarding the Bentley manual, but if it helps I can tell you the micro-switch is part of the lock. I've got a set of locks on the bench right now, the micro-switch is clipped in place and easily identified as the part on the end of the two wires.

What specific problem are you having? I guess it might be that one door is not signaling closed or open. The micro-switch is o/c when the door is shut, so if this is your fault it could also be a poor connection on a plug/socket anywhere between the lock and CCU (under the l/h front seat). If the door always signals it is open then a stuck micro-switch could be the cause.

Either way, a good soaking of WD40 can work wonders if sprayed into the door lock such that it will run down the moving part, the micro-switch is located underneath this, and a cam rotates with this moving lug that catches on the strike plate, and opens/closes the switch as it does so.

I don't think I manual is needed to check the lock and its wiring harness out, just take the door trim off and its very intuitive what to do.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 AM
1st Gear

yes the Bentley manual does have a short description on how to do it and a decent picture. I have the computer version so I don't know about the paper version. I have used this program many times and it has saved me a bunch of money so its well worth the purchase.

Hope that helps

Old 12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

I just remembered this:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec96.shtml

may be of help

Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Thank you!

Yes, the problem is that the rear, right door is not signaling closed or open. I read through the link provided for the repair and will give it a try.

Thanks again for all the help!

Old 12-13-2008, 02:42 PM
SoCal Crew Member

I'm having a similar problem, that as I shut the door and drive off, all of a sudden the console says the door is open and starts buzzing. Then when I open the door, the dome lights shut off as if the door is now closed. Is this the type of situation you were describing?

Old 12-14-2008, 12:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Rhino85
I'm having a similar problem, that as I shut the door and drive off, all of a sudden the console says the door is open and starts buzzing. Then when I open the door, the dome lights shut off as if the door is now closed. Is this the type of situation you were describing?
Hi Rhino85, my issue is different then yours. On my car, if you open the driver, passanger or rear-left door all of the interior lights come on and the computer/display recognizes that the door is open. If you open the rear-right door none of the interior lights come on and the computer/display doesn't recognize that the door is open.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:11 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JATRESSER
I'm a new audi owner (used 2005 A6 and 2003 allroad) and have not purchased the Bentley manuals yet. Can anyone confirm if the manuals explain how to replace the door switch that tells the computer/display if it's open?
If the 05 has less than 50,000 miles it is still under warranty and you should have the dealer fix it for free.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by JATRESSER
Hi Rhino85, my issue is different then yours. On my car, if you open the driver, passanger or rear-left door all of the interior lights come on and the computer/display recognizes that the door is open. If you open the rear-right door none of the interior lights come on and the computer/display doesn't recognize that the door is open.
Yeah, mine does that too with the driver door.