Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ghost noise coming from drivers side suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear
Default ghost noise coming from drivers side suspension

Hey All....I am getting a really loud chirping noise (high metallic) coming from my driver side front wheel. I took the wheel off and checked the upper and lower control arms. There is no play (up and down)and the rubber grommets (boots) look great with no cracks. The CV joint boots are intact with no grease on the inside of the wheel. The noise gets louder and faster the faster the wheel turns and when I turn hard left it goes away. When I turn hard right it is less noticeable. Brake pads and rotors are in great condition and working correctly. I can turn the rotor with the car jacked up and in nuetral and I cannot reproduce the sound and I can turn it pretty fast with a wrench. WTF is this sound? Could it be a wheel bearing? How does a guy go about changing that if it is the problem? Please help. I have stopped drving the car because the noise is really loud and kind of embarassing. Thanks in advance for comments!

Old 05-11-2007, 11:37 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: ghost noise coming from drivers side suspension

So i did some poking around with the search feature and may have anwsered my own question. It seems to be a wheel bearing. People with similar problems decscribe the same problem I am expereincing. I also noticed that my ABS feels like it kicks in after going over speed bumps (no lights on dash) and I found out that the ABS sensor is located close to the bearing and if the bearing completely fails, your ABS snesor gets munched. So, with that said, can anyone confirm? Is there a DIY write up on this? I couldnt find one.