Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!changed cont arm, now ESP+ABS lit up

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation HELP!changed cont arm, now ESP+ABS lit up

I just changed my tie rod ends and a lower control arm. Started driving, stepped on gas a little and ESP warning flashed, along with my antilock brakes engaging at the same time...Now both warning lights, ESP and ABS are lit up. They go off when I restart car, but when I start driving again, same thing happens...I wiggled both wires, abs and esp to make sure they didnt come loose, but no chsange...

Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Did you pull a wire or connector when you disassembled the front end? Did you use excessive force when you disconnected the harnesses? Or did you happen to pull the connectors apart by pulling on the wires instead of the plastic connectors? I had this happen in wiring before.. The best way is to ohm out the wires between connectors. Use an ohm meter and poke each wire before and after the connectors and see of one wire is open, then you will know if a wire connection is at fault. If so, you will need to repair it. Most likely a wire to pin connection broke in your abs sensor. If not a connection problem, disconnect your battery with your headlights on, leave it disconnected for an hour, and reconnect and test drive..
Good luck

BTW, you might have an adjustment issue on your ABS sensor. When you step on the gas, your hub has a tendency to shift a bit, and you might have something still loose too. When you apply power to the wheels, and your preload is not correct on the retaining nut, it might be shifting causing a misalignment of the ABS sensor to reader. The reason your ESP is acting up is because your car thinks that wheel locked up.. Your ABS is doing the same..

So it could be bad ABS wheel sensor, misalignment, bearing issue, broken wire, or ECM reset

Last edited by freakaftr8; 02-04-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

got a front end alignment after buying new tires, problem solved...It never amazes me anymore how sensitive these cars are..Thanks for the help though...

Old 02-06-2009, 12:41 PM

no prob. glad to hear it's fixed