Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...LPG conversion info...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Help...LPG conversion info...

Hello,

I live in Australia and would like to convert my 1998 Audi A6 2.8L to direct injected LPG with a donut tank fitted in place of the spare wheel. I have done a lot of research for the last 6 months and tried to get someone to do it for me but I have failed. There is no one that is confident to do this conversion as luxury cars are not really converted to LPG here in Australia, however one man experienced in this field is willing to do the job provided I get some information.

I would highly appreciate it if you guys could give me some details of the conversion you may have such as what type of parts are required, any wiring or drilling diagrams of how and where the LPG components go.

cheers

Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Help...LPG conversion info...

Hello old chap. I'm from England, UK. I have a 2000 2.7T that was converted to LPG just over 3 years ago (over here, it's usually ONLY luxury cars that are converted, due to the rising cost of petrol).

It was done professionally, not by myself however. It's a BRC multi-injection system witha doughnut tank in the spare wheel well, although I'd recommend having an 80 litre tank in the boot instead, as the boot space is rather large on the A6 anyway. The spare wheel tank is only 55 litres which gives me a range of between 200 and 250 miles, depending on how I drive.

If you tell me what you need and I'll try and get the info for you. To be honest, and this is only my opinion, I wouldn't get it done by a chap who says "well I don't normally convert that type of car, but get me some details and I'll give it a go". That wouldn't sit well with me, but as I said, that's just my opinion. If you're happy to chance it with the old girl, then give it a go.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:06 PM
1st Gear

Hello,

I understand that if some LPG speicalist doesnt really know the car well and says get me some info on it and ill do it, then it seems he doesnt really know much about anything......sorry i might of put it across wrong beforebut this is what i meant.....correct he has not done this car before but he didnt say he cant do it, infact all he asked me to do is search if i can find any techs or diagrams on where holes where drilled or any other issue that may arise such as ECU tuning etc etc.....

Normally here in austraila we have family "non luxury" cars converted to LPG such as holden commodore, ford falcon, toyota camry, mitsu magna which all have a certain kit that they buy for the suppler knowing that this kit will exactly fit into the car.....

on the A6 as it has not been done before we need to take many measurements, so i was asked again if i could let him know what exactly is needed....

plus asking on the forum is the best place to see from owners first hand experiences.

So far im looking at the multi-injection system as ive heard on A6s there is no backfire, better power and obviosuly economy. From what im aware the donut tank can be up to 60 liters which isnt too bad and i may prefer and it will look neater hidden and give some extra boot space, however im open minded to even consider the normal tank just incase it is lot cheaper or any other reason....

just to sum up if you can get me info like diagrams on where things go and what exactly is needed in the kit for the A6 i would highly appreciate that....

again thank you very much and hope to hear from you soon....

Old 05-26-2008, 11:11 PM

Apparently BRC is an Italian company http://www.brc.it/default.aspx?page=24&lang=en. They don't seem to have any installers in USA, but they have two in Austrailia. How do Austrailians keep the LPGtank in the trunk (boot) from overheating and venting LPG?